S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
At least it turns fast
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck on a dyno this weekend, just because I wanted to see what it had stock. It made
166.6hp @4352 and
223.2 ft. lbs @2939

This was completely stock, not drivetrain modifications at all. 20k miles.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Holy sweet mother of crap look at that dropoff. I for one really appreciate that bro, I got the same drivetrain setup as you and now I know where I'm at :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
maybe this is a dumb question but do you have the 4.3? my stock 4.3 manual says the HP is closer to 180/190, and ft/lb i looked up on the vortec website at about 270.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Star said:
maybe this is a dumb question but do you have the 4.3? my stock 4.3 manual says the HP is closer to 180/190, and ft/lb i looked up on the vortec website at about 270.

Thats power at the crank, his #'s are at the wheels theres a big difference.

·
At least it turns fast
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes my horsepower at the flywheel is "supposed" to be 180. It is either higher than that or my drivetrain is really efficient, that is only a 8% loss in hp (if the power is indeed 180 at the crank).

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Damn 5-speeds..:chomp:

---------------------

You're torque is falling off pretty quickly.. I wonder whats going on....

Edit.. well maybe not.. thats a tricky graph they got there..

·
At least it turns fast
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes stock torque is supposed to be 245 ft-lbs at 2800. So that would be a 9% loss in torque if it is 245 at the flywheel. Yeah that graph had me a little worried too, then i looked at the y-scale.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
wheel torque not brake torque

and the torque curve does that because of the higher push and pull effort to move the air in and out + friction.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was told that all 03 and new 4.3's come with 190hp 2wd and 200hp 4wd.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
wheel torque is less than torque at the flywheel from drivetrain friction losses mainly.

wheel torque being the torque at the wheels....is what the dyno tells you

torque curve falls off because ...

the amount of power..i.e. torque robber in this case goes up basically squared (2x speed = 4x harder)

same with friction... dont want to get into that too much, but oil wedges get smaller and the pressure goes up but it all causes a loss making the engine, numb its ability to accelerate quick on its own not even counting a load on it.

thats just engine related... not counting drivetrain components & mass of everything after the crank-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts