S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 s10 2.2l with disk brakes in the front and drums in the rear. I'm looking to convert the rear drums to disk that I got off a 2000 GMC Jimmy 2wd however I have a few concerns. I've been told opposing info about whether or not I would need to change out components of the braking system (proportioning valve, residual values, master cylinder). If someone could shine some light on the subject I would appreciate it as I've attempted to look in other forms and this one with little success.

Thanks, Steven

·
Administrator
21,756 Posts
You'll need the hard line from the Jimmy along with the flex lines. The proportioning valve doesn't come into play..the abs takes care of it. Leave everything else alone. You might take a look at the Big Brake stickies in this forum. Pics are missing, but you'll get the gist of things.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
It's easier to just swap the rear end... just too bad finding them with 3.73s is pretty much impossible and 4.10s actually impossible. I'm pretty sure the caliper bracket needs to be spaced out a little on a drum rear end...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read that I need to add about 1/4" to 1/8" of space too the bracket. I'm fine with that, I mean if I get it the axle back on and its not spaced right well its just back off and fixed. No brakes on the other hand is unfix-able in the right situation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you definitely need to space it but you can essentially get the two anchor plates, dorman makes the backing plates, ac delco makes an entire parking brake kit then all you need is rotors and calipers and hoses which you can source locally at a parts store. This would alleviate the need to use second hand parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts