S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while installing the head on my 2.2l I dropped one of the rocker arm nuts down the cutout of the head where the pushrods go into the lifters.i have not been able to get it with a magnet will it hurt anything if I don't find it

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,340 Posts
You might drain the oil, get a strong magnet and drag it across the pan. If you're lucky....

·
time to get cereal
3,597 Posts
Just take the head back off. I'm guessing you torqued the bolts already so you'll need to buy another set. Once they are stretched, they are done.

·
Get a bigger hammer
99 4wd base
18 Posts
Just take the head back off. I'm guessing you torqued the bolts already so you'll need to buy another set. Once they are stretched, they are done.
^What he said.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been in plenty of engines but not a 2.2 yet.
Experience tells me that if there's any way it can fall through onto the spinning crankshaft, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I'm kind of an "if I can see it, I can get it" mechanic, I'd probably waste more time trying to retrieve it than just biting the bullet and pulling the head.
I'm probably not the only one here like that...

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,974 Posts
I don't believe the Cavalier block has galley windows from the lifters to the main crank? Dropping it down the rocker arm pushrod hole won't end up bouncing around the spinning crankshaft but depending on where it ends up sitting it could bounce around and beat the hell out of a pushrod or grind down against the rod and end up with particulates in the oil. Either way it is best to find it and get it out than risk it being chewed up by the sowing machine in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts