S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forever Customizing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today the truck went down with a 4/5 kit from DJM.
I had NOTHING but problems doing it!
First we set on the leaf springs.. No problem dropping the right side. Went to put on the new one, and I couldnt figure out which side went towards the front and which to rear. I called Stylin and asked a salesman who instructed me to put the longer of the bottom leafs towards the front... So I did. WRONG. (We are talking about the very bottom leaf itself) so I switched it around and there she was.
Off to the drivers side and here began the problems. First off we couldnt get the shock off the plate, it felt welded to the bolt! After alot of heat I finally broke the ***** loose.
Removed the one back bolt, no sweat. Off to the front bolt. PROBLEM! I cant take out the bolt because the gas tank is in the way. The gas tank FULL of fuel. Dropping it was an option, but a terrible one. So I cut the bolt, ran down to Napa and picked up a new one. Rear end done and lookin SWEET.
Off to the front. PROBLEM! Didnt have too much of a hard time removing the spindle, the shock is another story. I kept turning the insert with the nut. Finally after an hour of work I was able to get it off. Onto the other side. Same problem, but now with a bit more knowledge on the shock, I was able to get this one off in 30 minutes or so. Do the swap, all is cool. DAMMIT! I forgot to put one of the brake react bushings on. Do I drop the side again and start from scratch? Hell no, ill leave it for now and have the suspension shop do it when I bring it in for the alignment tomorrow morning. Passenger side wheel on, all good. Back to the drivers side to mount the caliper and wheel. PROBLEM! When I put it all together and spin the rotor, I hear some sort of grinding. Not sure what it is though. I dick around with it for an hour, cant find the problem. Screw it, ill let the alignment shop deal with it tomorrow.
I took it out down the street to check it out, as soon as I started backing out I heard a metal clunking noise.. Im guessing one of the springs just settled into its seat. Rides a bit hard in the rear but it looks phat as hell!
Overall, aside from all the problems, im happy. Its a bit too low in the back for me, I may pull the 2 inch block and replace it with a 1 inch, but ill tackle that later.

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
give the front some time to settle, a lot of people say the front can drop up to an inch. if it doesn't after a month or so, then throw a 1inch block instead of the 2. chech the plate for the abs sensor or rotor shield for that scraping. remeber to check all your bolts after some driving.

·
Forever Customizing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stealthx said:
give the front some time to settle, a lot of people say the front can drop up to an inch. if it doesn't after a month or so, then throw a 1inch block instead of the 2. chech the plate for the abs sensor or rotor shield for that scraping. remeber to check all your bolts after some driving.
****, I meant to post about this..
It turns out it was the ABS sensor rubbing. The guy who did my alignment just cut a piece of the plastic off, and now its fine.

When you say to check the bolts, which ones are you referring to?

·
Registered
271 Posts
some major bolts to check

BALL JOINTS!!!! make sure the cotter pins are in there and they are tight, just go over everything and check if they are tight just to make sure you didnt forget anything, my dad always has to check my work and sometimes there are things that are lose, so just go over everything. dont worry about the problems i already went through them so i know where you are comming from, a easier way to do the drivers side leaf is to just cut the head off and replace it with a new one and ut it in the other way. but i guess its too late for that.:bah: you are lucky that you did it all at one time, i dropped my truck 3 different times already and im finally happy with the drop.

·
Forever Customizing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: some major bolts to check

FTC said:
a easier way to do the drivers side leaf is to just cut the head off and replace it with a new one and ut it in the other way. but i guess its too late for that.:bah:

That is what we did. Except I couldnt find a grade 8 bolt, so I used a grade 5 until I got the grade 8. Well I never found a grade 8, I did however find the metric version and used that.

you are lucky that you did it all at one time, i dropped my truck 3 different times already and im finally happy with the drop.
I feel ya. I am going to raise it an inch in the front for the winter, then come back down in the spring.

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
yeah, basically check everything. check the u-bolts that hold the axle, leafs and shackles. my friend dropped his full size and his u-bolts came lose. check the front end, ball joints, and lugs, and shocks. better safe then sorry. that kinda sucks that you'll need to raise your truck in the winter. just be sure your ball joints are ok. i replaced mine, its a b*tch even with the right tools. and if you ever think about doing bushings, Good Luck, i did that as well and it was a whore.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
I guess ill throw in my 2 cents. The front appears to be a little higher in the front than rear. Almost leveled but not quite. Many people have good luck settleing the front front springs by putting the truck on the rack and raising and lower it several times. This gives the springs the ability to stretch and then settle down more. Also i would be awesome if you ditched the bumper and got a GM roll pan. The bumper will raise the back end by at least .5-.75 inches. The roll pan cost 35$ at any GM parts department.

·
Forever Customizing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
db machine said:
I guess ill throw in my 2 cents. The front appears to be a little higher in the front than rear. Almost leveled but not quite. Many people have good luck settleing the front front springs by putting the truck on the rack and raising and lower it several times. This gives the springs the ability to stretch and then settle down more. Also i would be awesome if you ditched the bumper and got a GM roll pan. The bumper will raise the back end by at least .5-.75 inches. The roll pan cost 35$ at any GM parts department.
Im 100% sure the springs are in correctly in the front. I checked multiple times, and when I had the alignment done, I had them check too.
I think my rear end just sits lower!

As for the roll pan, I actually have a Godfathers here that just needs to be painted and put on.
I got hit friday night in the bumper, so I guess now it the time to get it painted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts