S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Breakin stuff is my job
1,069 Posts
Belltech nitrodrop shocks are pretty good i just instaled mine and love em. They are shorter than stock shocks to keep you from bottoming out when you hit a bump. try searchin next time or check the static dropin FAQ at top of the forum

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
Belltech are slightly preferred on here it would seem but theres also DJM, Summit, Toxic Shocks

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
you ONLY need drop shocks if you are running drop leafs, or 2-3" drop coils. Drop coils and drop leafs change the mounting points of the shocks and therefore reduce the amount of suspension travel. Drop shocks are designed for the reduced travel. Toxic drop shocks are stiffer than belltechs, I have rode in trucks with both belltech nitro drop and their nitro actives and myself couldn't tell a bid enough difference to spend the more money on the nitro actives. So if it were me I would run the nitro drops.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
xman said:
i need to replace my shocks all around, what about the nitro active shocks? are they worth the money?
I have a 4X4 but wanted the Actives, and when i switched from monroes to Nitro Twin Tubes I was thoroughly impressed with the perfromance. I'd reccommend the twin-tubes unless you're really into handling performance.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
woody12 said:
Tim, the belltech nitro are the way to go, not toxic
I never suggested Toxics, I said if it were me I would run belltech nitro drop shocks. Again like I said in the trucks I have rode in I couldn't tell enough difference between the nitro drops and actives to justify spending the extra cash on the actives

xman said:
i need to replace my shocks all around, what about the nitro active shocks? are they worth the money?
again, IMO they aren't that much better than the nitro drops, so I don't see any reason to spend another $14-15 per shock

xman said:
twin tubes aye? never heard of them, how much?
nitro drop shocks are twin tube, nitro actives are monotube

nitro drops are $37.88 each and nitro actives are around $52 each

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
i just put belltech nitro's on my 97. the rear was getting bounsy, and the front always slamed on large bumps, OUCH. the new shocks seemed to have made a great difference. on small bumps, its stiffer. but on large bumps = no more OUCH. me = :) and i got lucky, $26 each :)

·
LS ONE
2,142 Posts
I just did a 5/6 drop on my truck, but couldn't afford the drop shocks at this time, I do plan to get them, I currently have the factory ZQ8 bilsteins, one problem I'm having, is the front didn't drop down as far as it should've, in fact, it hardly dropped at all, and I'm running 3" bell tech coils and 2" DJM spindles, is it at all possible, that the stock biltseins are keeping the front from dropping down all the way?, the springs are centered in the pocket and seated properly, the front is only slightly lower than with the stock ZQ8 coils. I plan to get the nitro drop shocks anyway because it hits the bump stops pretty hard, but I was just wondering if the bilsteins could be holding the front end up a little due to how far they're compressed, anyone else have a drop that didn't take?

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
ive never used anything but besides stock nad bilstines and i love my bilsteins

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
BLACKZQ8stepside said:
I just did a 5/6 drop on my truck, but couldn't afford the drop shocks at this time, I do plan to get them, I currently have the factory ZQ8 bilsteins, one problem I'm having, is the front didn't drop down as far as it should've, in fact, it hardly dropped at all, and I'm running 3" bell tech coils and 2" DJM spindles, is it at all possible, that the stock biltseins are keeping the front from dropping down all the way?, the springs are centered in the pocket and seated properly, the front is only slightly lower than with the stock ZQ8 coils. I plan to get the nitro drop shocks anyway because it hits the bump stops pretty hard, but I was just wondering if the bilsteins could be holding the front end up a little due to how far they're compressed, anyone else have a drop that didn't take?

no the shocks are not holding you up, here's why. The bilsteins are designed for the 1.5" drop the ZQ8s are given up front using coil springs. Now since you changed them out to 3" drop coils, you only actually went 1.5" more than stock with coil springs. So that means you reduced the amout of suspension travel by .75" since the front suspension is a lever setup. And the bilsteins will bottom out while driving with this setup, but not just sitting parked. BTW the 2" spindles do not affect suspension travel and therefore would have no effect on the shocks. So something is wrong, cause you should be 3.5" lower than stock right now in the front.

·
Registered
180 Posts
toxics are the only way to fly

·
LS ONE
2,142 Posts
grndscrpr03 said:
no the shocks are not holding you up, here's why. The bilsteins are designed for the 1.5" drop the ZQ8s are given up front using coil springs. Now since you changed them out to 3" drop coils, you only actually went 1.5" more than stock with coil springs. So that means you reduced the amout of suspension travel by .75" since the front suspension is a lever setup. And the bilsteins will bottom out while driving with this setup, but not just sitting parked. BTW the 2" spindles do not affect suspension travel and therefore would have no effect on the shocks. So something is wrong, cause you should be 3.5" lower than stock right now in the front.
Yepp, I figured that was the case, just wanted a professional second opinion, the only other thing that could be holding the front up, is that I have the half inch spacer on the driver's side coil (to correct the factory lean), and the battery has been relocated to the bed, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal, should it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts