S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking for some opionions on which drop shocks give the best ride. my current suspension setup is zq8 with 2" spindels and 3" blocks. yeah so the rear of the truck rides like a trampoline and it starting to get annoying lol so help me out before i buy thanks

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
i personally liked the decarbons.
never had the summit sport DT ones, but have not heard anything but good about them

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
First a question for you. Did you cut the bumpstop brackets out on the rear? That's a must with your set-up.

I agree with Greencactus. Lots of folks here have tried the DT's and like them. And only like $28 each. Mine came stock with Bilsteins and I replaced them with the Bilstein replacement shocks. They ride great but are a lot more at $60 each ordered through Autozone. Here's a link about them:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f178/need-replacement-zq8-shocks-check-this-out-long-story-d-166926/

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
dont get "drop shocks" b/c you didnt lower your truck in a way that alters the amount of travel your shocks go through. think of how the shocks are mounted and how you lowered the truck...the shocks stay in the same place.

just get some upgraded heavy duty factory replacements.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
dont get "drop shocks" b/c you didnt lower your truck in a way that alters the amount of travel your shocks go through. think of how the shocks are mounted and how you lowered the truck...the shocks stay in the same place.

just get some upgraded heavy duty factory replacements.
its a zq8 so shorter drop shocks will work fine

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,617 Posts
I've ran Nitro 2, Nitro, and Summits. I prefer Nitro 2's by far, but that's me and yeah your rear end shouldn't be bouncing around unless you still have the bump stop bracket.

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
You are mistaken. ZQ8 suspension is not stock for an s10. It is an option that is dropped and uses drop shocks.

And Autozone has no idea what ZQ8 is or that they even sell ZQ8 replacement shocks. You have to give them the part #'s to look up. They are not shown as ZQ8 shocks. They are listed as "sport truck" shocks. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You are mistaken. ZQ8 suspension is not stock for an s10. It is an option that is dropped and uses drop shocks.

And Autozone has no idea what ZQ8 is or that they even sell ZQ8 replacement shocks. You have to give them the part #'s to look up. They are not shown as ZQ8 shocks. They are listed as "sport truck" shocks. Trust me.
i know everything there is to know about a zq8 except the actual spring rates i never could find that
but i had a zq8, and i have converted my 91 to zq8, and have since made it better...

but what i was saying is that for a zq8 truck..those shocks are stock shocks. they are not drop shocks. and i know people at autozone are stupid, but they do have an option on certain year models, to select the sport handling suspension

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thanks for the help guys. what the problem was was that i still had the bump stops in. the reason i thought it was the shocks was that i never experienced "bottoming out" with them in because i was pretty much riding on them the whole time lol. but i cut them out and it made a world of difference. thanks for that. but i would still like to get everyones thoughts on "drop shocks" incase i would ever need the reason to get them.

·
Thanks For Your Support
3,647 Posts
well thanks for the help guys. what the problem was was that i still had the bump stops in. the reason i thought it was the shocks was that i never experienced "bottoming out" with them in because i was pretty much riding on them the whole time lol. but i cut them out and it made a world of difference. thanks for that. but i would still like to get everyones thoughts on "drop shocks" incase i would ever need the reason to get them.
Like I asked in post #3, did you cut the entire bracket out or just the rubber bump stops? You don't need any "shorter shocks" with Spindles and blocks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
yeah sorry to kinda hijack the thread.
well at least you got it figured out.

i have heard that belltech's are good. my buddy has djm toxic shocks on his ranger and they are nice and comfortable

·
Sucker for Blondes
979 Posts
What about the Doetcsh (sp?) tech shocks?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i cut the whole deal out last night bracket and all flush to the frame, rides like it did before the drop. thats what i was looking for. now is there an advantage to running drop shocks?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts