S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, so heres the deal. Ive got a 97 4dr blazer, and I did the headlight rewire on the highs/lows. Now the deal is, my drls aren't working now and I had planned on retrofitting projectors and running halos as y drls, but that can't happen seeing as my drls aren't working. Any ideas as to what I can do to get them back up and running?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, all the lights work no problem. im not getting ANY power to the dark blue drl wire under the hood. and i dont have the dome light button, thats only on the 98+

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
well since you rewired the headlights using relays before the DRL was just a lower voltage sent to the high beam wires (dimmer lights) so this lower voltage prolly isnt enough to trigger the 12v relays you installed.

you can probably get around this by running that wire to the relay connector/terminal that has the original high beam wires going to it (essentially bypassing the relay and acting like its not even there)

least in theory i belive that should work....

oh and check the drl fuse u may have bown it

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its not even the fact that i cant figure out how to wire them up to the relay, im just not even getting power to the line. i know that the green wire is the + for the high beams, and on the drivers side, the blue wire is the drivers side negative, but also the drl + and on the passengers side the black wire is the ground. and when the lights are switched to off, and the truck is on, the blue wire should be getting the power, and when the lights are switched on, the power should be dead on the blue wire. but when its running and lights are off, the blue wire is getting absolutely no power. the fuse is good, because its both the drl and fog fuse. so i dont know what?????

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
hmm ic

parking brake isnt on or partially on by any chance?(might have to pull the release and pull back on the foot pedal to make sure its fully retracted)

short of that gonna have to go wire tracin i think...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked the break and everything, its completely retracted. as far as the wire hunting. the wire literally goes from the relay, under the dash, through the fire wall, down the drivers side fender, and to the light....im seriously super confused.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The DRL module thinks the headlights are on in DRL mode since the module sees high and low beams turned on (even though low voltage). When I converted my HLs to HID I wanted to use my fog lights as DRL. Had the same problem. The DRL module didn't know what to do so the DRLs never turned on. I wired in another rely to keep the DRL relay on (applied ground to the ltgrn/blk wire) until the headlight actually got turned on. My relay is switched when the headlights are turned on (lifting ground), thus the DRLs go out and headlights turn on. Everything work except the DRLs wont go out with the parking brake.

Ben

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Kerby

Ok here is what I did. Using another DRL relay.

1) Pins 86 and 87a go to ground (I connected to the BLK/WHT wire terminal “H” at the DRL module.)
2) Pin 30 goes to the LT GRN/BLK wire on the DRL relay (this will keep the DRL relay turned on as soon as the car is started)
3) Pin 85 goes to the yellow wire terminal “D” on the DRL module (this will turn on the new relay when the HL’s are turned on….turning off the DRLs)

If you want to check if this will work for you before doing all of this, take the cover off the DRL relay. With the truck running and manually engage the relay. The HL’s should light dim. If so this mod will work.

I did this to use my fog lights (after market ones) as my DRL’s after installing HID and later retrofitting HID projectors. The DK BLU wire normally switched between ground for the left HL (normal HL mode) and B+ when DRL is on. Since the current is feed through the ground leg of the filaments at the left HL and then ground at the right HL they glow dim. So I used that wire as the ground for the left fog light, thus the fog lights function perfectly as the DRLs. Dim in DRL mode

Good luck
Ben

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how big of a hole do i have to cut? and what do i use to cut it? (im super new about alot of this) and in the picture, it shows a diode. whats the diode for?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The diode is there to stop feedback through the circuit. It is actually a small circuit board with 4 diodes on it. The hole I cut was maybe 2"X2" used a dremel with a cutoff wheel on it. The hole will not be visible once the dash the reassembled. I couldn’t find any other way to get to it. Couldn’t get my hand up there from under the dash and wires aren’t long enough to pull it down anyway. Really great design. Good luck...:)

Ben

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.