S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 5 speed S-10 that is vibrating and making a humming noise. i jacked up the rear end and put her into 1st gear. i noticed the driveshaft not spinning in a perfect circle, but more of a wobbling circle.
this problem just started monday morning driving to work. the faster i drive the more vobrating/noise i get. i have posted in other forums and have gotten different answers. some have replied that it is the carrier bearings, u-joints, and unbalanced shaft. being a 2.2L, i do not drive my truck hard. does my truck have a carrier bearing? i looked at the driveshaft and seen a weight on it. how many should be on there? i moved the shaft up/down and front to back and there is no play. the tires were replaced 4 months ago and still have the balance weights on them, so i am ruling unbalanced tires out. my only guess would be the carrier bearings if i do have it. what would you think?

--scott

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't know if it has a carrier bearing, Look at the driveshaft from the transmission to the rear end, if it's one solid tube than it doesn't have a carrier bearing, if it has a crossmember with a round thing connected to the driveshaft than thats probably the carrier bearing.
But to find out what the problem is, put it in neutral and with the tires blocked or the parking brake on, wiggle every connction...The u joints, the carrier bearing if it has it, etc. Nothing will wiggle if it's not in neutral and there is stress on the drivetrain.
The number of balance weights on the driveshaft varies between different driveshafts, they are only added as necessary.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Twin-10s said:
center support bearing.
AKA carrier bearing.....I was informed by the local parts guy on this, I felt like asking him, WTF I need the bearing I'm not trying to find out how many names it has. :dunno:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Twin-10s said:
not sure on that? carrier bearings are the bearings on each side of the carrier inside the diff.
Yes, but if you're a parts store dick they would be the differential carrier bearings.

If you want to get technical about it a transmission has a center support bearing inside of it.

So....now that we've covered that, how many other names can we come up with to describe the bearing on the center of the driveshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts