S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98’ s-10. 4.3/4l60e trans. Lowered 3/4. Bell tech spindles and zq8 stings up front and bellteck drop block in back. Replaced rear end with 8.5” with g80. I pulled it from a pick and pull. It was making a horrible vibration through out the entire rpm range. Thought maybe needed new carrier bearing. The old one was pretty trashed. So replaced it and the ujoints. Made it ten miles and threw the rear shaft off the rear end. I pulled the rear drive shaft with the rear end and used it. Left the front one in with the carrier bearing. Am I over looking something? Any advise would be helpful thank you in advance yall.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have a 98’ s-10. Replaced rear end with 8.5” with g80. I pulled it from a pick and pull. I pulled the rear drive shaft
It was making a horrible vibration through out the entire rpm range.
Your grammar is horrible.

I think you had a bad rear axle. You went to a local junk yard and got a new axle with the rear portion of a 2 piece drive shaft.

You replaced your carrier bearing with a new unit.

After it was assembled the truck would vibrate through all RPMs when driven.

You drove approximately 10 miles and the rear most portion of the drive line came off the rear axle.

How did the drive shaft sperate from the axle? U joints break? The u ujoint straps weren’t tightened?

Post pictures. They help more than words.

Also, if you took a part from the junk yard and installed it without fully checking the junk yard piece, how do you know it wasn’t broken in the first place?

I’d guess you replaced a broken part with another broken part.

·
Registered
2000 Blazer SAS
506 Posts
The two pieces of the driveshaft are balanced as a set. You may get a vibration if you mix and match. Also, were the two pieces assembled in phase (with the joints lined up the same at each end)?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is why I hate asking questions. Cause some a$$hat has to be all judge mental. I didn’t ask the question for a grammar lesson. I asked for some help. Sorry the grammar is so horrible. I work 12 hour days and was exhausted when I asked. So again, don’t need that crap.

Now I got the rear end fthe local pick and pull, I’m not stupid enough to just put it in with out looking though it. I will admit I do not know a lot about rear ends. But I did pull the axles and the 3rd member. Cleaned everything, put it back together, and put new oil in it.

There was nothing wrong with the old one. I up graded to the 8.5 posi rear end because I am gonna be doing a LS swap my S10. If there is anything wrong with it I couldn’t tell you. What should I look for?

So, what should I do now, rebuild the rear end?

I did not know the drive shafts came as a balanced set. So now I’m thinking maybe I should get them looked at and balanced. Maybe go to the pick and pull and pick up a different set.
Any help will always be appreciated. Grammar lessons not so much. 😂

·
Registered
283 Posts
Excellent idea to have driveline damage from stated 'fell off' mishap repaired and definitely rebalancing. Just to eliminate that as a cause , if other issues exist afterwards.
If you actually pulled the posi carrier out of the diff housing , the side brng shims fell out and must return to original side as they determine 'gear backlash'. Recommend replace All the diff carrier, pinion and axel bearings if they show any sign of 'pitting' or heavy use behind hi HP is planned. Rental of an experienced assistant is advised if you're new to these procedures.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
This is why I hate asking questions.
Should never hate asking questions

Cause some a$$hat has to be all judge mental.
No, that asshat, me, needs to know all the details before any help can be provided. Which, you still didnt do.

I didn’t ask the question for a grammar lesson.
I run my own shop, i work in the hsop during the day, and on a $400k racecar at night. I understand the 12 hour days and all that goes with it.

I asked for some help.
You asked for help, and didnt fully described the issue. Now here it is two days later, and we still dont know whats wrong because of the lack of info you have provided.

How did the drive shaft come apart? did the u joint break, or did the strap break? I also asked for pictures. Those help alot in many situations.

Do you know what u joint phasing is? that might be your problem, but i dont think so in a mere 10 miles of drive time.

Is your truck modified? Lifted? Lowered?

I hope you understand without knowing everything that is going on, and or happening, we are just guessing. YOU need to provide as much detailed info as possible.

Even right now, i think you pulled a rear and a portion of a drive shaft from a junk yard and stabbed it into your truck. I have nothing else to go off of, therefore cant really help.

When you put the wheels on, and it was still up in the air, did you put it in drive to see of the wheels 'rolled' straight and true? Thats an easy way to check for a bent shaft.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,103 Posts
Now I got the rear end fthe local pick and pull, I’m not stupid enough to just put it in with out looking though it. I will admit I do not know a lot about rear ends. But I did pull the axles and the 3rd member. Cleaned everything, put it back together, and put new oil in it.
Did you actually pull the ring & pinion?? If so, you may want someone qualified in rear end assembly to reinstall it.

Reactions: S10dude
1 - 9 of 9 Posts