S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 and have had it for 2 years, about 5 months after i bought it, I had to replace the middle U joint. Then another 5 months the rear U Joint went, and i noticed that there was a little bit of vibration in the back. 4 months later it had to be replaced again but the vibrations were very noticeable, and recently the rear one is gone again. today I phoned a mechanic, and i was told that the whole drive shaft had to be taken out, and everything replaced(U joints Support Bearing), and balanced. Is that true? Or what should I do?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah! I got the same problem I have a 2000 regular cab with about 136,xxx miles on it and I just found out that the U-joint in the front is completely shot and the rear u-joint is also going. I am having them replaced tomorrow, but I don't know about the balanceing the drive shaft.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The oem joints are not greasable, that is their main problem, most people don't want greaseable joints because they don't want to grease them, since most people keep vehicles only a few years and then trade for a new one replaceing joints are someone elses problem.
When you replace one joint replace them all with good greasable ones and then have the shaft balanced. I have found its almost impossible to get the factory ones out without knocking the shaft out of balance, it cost me $60 for balancing so I did all three joints at once so I would only have to pay to have it balanced once. The greaseable joints will last forever if you grease them and grease and a grease gun are cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
its not very likely that your driveshaft needs to be balanced. since these driveshafts are mainly balanced by the welds around the yokes. but you probably only need to replace all 3 u-joints unless its a reg cab then you only 2. atleast your mechanic is'nt trying to rip you off usually they tell you your rearend.

i had the sam problem on my old 97 ex-cab i replaced all the u joints myself and never had another problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on, I thought that my whole rearend was shot. Now to take it all apart and get it balanced, how difficult would you think that replaceing the joints would be? Say on a scale of 1-10? I've never done it before but i've done a lot of work on my truck

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
It depends, are your joints factory or have they been replaced before. The factory ones are not held in by clips, they have melted fiberglass shot in the little holes in the yokes. To get the joints out you have to heat up and melt out the fiberglass. Then press the joints out like normal. Once you have the factory ones out, the new ones go in easily and replaceing them is easy as you just pop the clips off and push them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts