S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinkin about doing a another inch drop (5 inch total) on the rear to bring it down, but i am concerned about the two-piece driveshaft crossmember because it hangs down about an inch or so lower than the frame on the ext. cabs. In washington state there are some pretty wicked driveways/entrances to things, and i don't want to stress that crossmember by bottoming out too much (i already do a bit). Has anyone done some modifying to the crossmember to make it level with the frame? I was thinkin you could cut off the excess, then box it back in. Let me know if you have experience with this.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Why not ck out DMO fabrication. They're a sponsor and have a real
nice crossmember for what you want. The link ia at the top of'
page, at least for today. A member got one of their x-members and
it was laid out real nice. DMO makes some clean stuff.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
bg's said:
Why not ck out DMO fabrication. They're a sponsor and have a real
nice crossmember for what you want. The link ia at the top of'
page, at least for today. A member got one of their x-members and
it was laid out real nice. DMO makes some clean stuff.
:stupid:

And get ready for hell taking the old crossmember off if you don't have an air chisel and a torch.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
I have there crossmember.. works real nice. and it sits about 1/4" above the scrub line (bottom of the frame)

I had my factory crossmember on my truck most of the time when i had my 5/5 drop... it drug over any large speed bumps, or drivways...put it this way, the bottom of the ears were only about 3" from the ground.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.....i will take a look at there stuff. Luckily i just got a job at a local Hot Rod shop.......so i am sure the guys there could help me out on the project.

Eric

·
Grounded 4 Life
2,158 Posts
dmofabrication said:
if you are interested I will be having a special price on the x-member in about week and half or so.:bugeye:
ooohh oohhh special let me know when you are doing this too.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, i am interested. Let me know more about it. Could you post a picture of the crossmember? Also, how complicated of an install is it? I know it wouldn't be "easy" per se, but you get the idea. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here is a picture of one. If you have the right tools such as a torch and air chisel it makes the job easier but if not it will take longer to remove the rivets.

As for the special price of $69 shipped, it will start in about a week and a half and will end Dec. 31st

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some More Questions:....... I don't remember for sure, is the stock crossmember wlelded, bolted, or riveted in??? Also, is the crossmember you sell designed to bolt or weld in?? Finally, does the crossmember change the actual position or location of the bearing carrier (i.e. higher or lower etc.) and the point that the driveshaft goes through? Just some questions i wanted to address. I appreciate your help.

Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts