S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 S10 with manual door locks. The truck has 241,xxx miles on it. Once in a great while my driver's door lock would jam and I would have to wiggle the key or push the lock several times from the inside to make it work again. Recently I locked my keys in the truck with it running and had to have AAA come out and get into it. After that my drivers door lock will not budge with the key. It works fine using the lock on the inside. Am I going to have to get the two doors and ignition re-keyed? Or at least get the two doors re-keyed?

40,370 Posts
If the lock/tumbler is bad or frozen you could try using some WD to free it up. If that doesn't work and it needs to be replaced they come in pairs with a key. You'll just end up with an ignition key and a door key. Which is how the trucks used to be before they adopted the single key.

Before any of that though I'd remove the inner door panel and check the lock and latch rods to see if anything else could be causing it to not to move.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll spray the lock with some kroil and if that doesn't work I'll take the door panel off and have a look and see if I can fix it myself. I have a feeling I'm going to end up calling a locksmith. Thanks for the advice.

·
the new guy
906 Posts
they are easy to get out and soak in cleaner. its just held in with a clip.

I like to take stuff apart so I would see if I could open it up and get it back together. I have no idea if you can but I ended up being able to on my 98 camry ignition. I also learned the key switch has a bunch of brass deals that make the lock fit the key and if you aren't careful, when they fall out, you will never get them back in place as they are halves and go in a certain order to fit the key. so there is a 98 camry driving around that any key starts it

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree with trying to clean the lock first. My 2003 has manual locks too, and I've run into the same problem, especially if it's less than 25° outside. I've seen Kroil work miracles on rusted antique parts before, so it should get the job done. After you get it cleaned, use the lube that is recommended in the owners manual:

Multi-Purpose Lubricant, [email protected] (GM Part No. U.S. 12346241, in Canada 10953474, or equivalent).

The manual states that this is the same lubricant you use for the hood hinges, door hinges, fuel filler door, folding seat, along with most of the tailgate area parts.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,102 Posts
remove lock from vehicle- place in mason jar- fill with paint thinner or kerosene- let soak for 24 hours- drain and rise lock out with parts cleaner- relube with dry lithium or lock lube- happy trails

Reactions: superj

·
the new guy
906 Posts
yup. that will for sure free it of anything.

I soaked some gummed up stuff in 90% alcohol and it worked like a charm, also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with trying to clean the lock first. My 2003 has manual locks too, and I've run into the same problem, especially if it's less than 25° outside. I've seen Kroil work miracles on rusted antique parts before, so it should get the job done. After you get it cleaned, use the lube that is recommended in the owners manual:

Multi-Purpose Lubricant, [email protected] (GM Part No. U.S. 12346241, in Canada 10953474, or equivalent).

The manual states that this is the same lubricant you use for the hood hinges, door hinges, fuel filler door, folding seat, along with most of the tailgate area parts.
I didn't know there was an official lubricant. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
remove lock from vehicle- place in mason jar- fill with paint thinner or kerosene- let soak for 24 hours- drain and rise lock out with parts cleaner- relube with dry lithium or lock lube- happy trails
Hopefully I won't have to go that far, but we'll see. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I sprayed some Aerokroil in the driver's door lock, unlocked it and locked it from the inside several times then let it sit for a couple hours. I went back and unlocked and locked it several more times and put key in the lock cylinder and it turned! I couldn't believe it. I'm so glad it worked and I didn't have to go inside the door or call a locksmith.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts