S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not seen this in any threads about door hinges. Hinge pins are good, detent rollers are good. What happened is the detent cam or ratchet, on the driver door hinge, fell off, causing of course the hinge detent spring to fall out as well.

Parts manuals just show it as part of the upper hinge assembly, no separate parts available. I have the detent and the spring, and the roller and pin are good. The short pin/bushing that holds the detent plate to the hinge bracket is what broke.... the smaller end of the short pin, that has a cross shaped pair of grooves on the end, broke off.

Any idea where I can find a replacement pin/bushing/stud whatever it is, to attach the detent cam again? I can attach a picture if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These pics are from online hinge pin and detent roller tutorials, but they show the pin for the detent cam plate that I'm referring to. The plate is the #1 arrow. The #3 arrow points to the spring, and just below the #3 arrow is the pin that broke off on my driver's door. That's the pin I need to replace.

Attachments

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,221 Posts
Whatever you do do NOT replace the hinge on your truck!! It NEVE works out well! I’ve seen even skilled body men fail at this repair! Your truck will never be the same..

Replace the door. I try to factor in price,time,over all finished result quality when serving my trucks. The quickest,easiest,and least expensive repair that will yeild the best results it to just replace the door.

·
Been there Done it
8,409 Posts

So what broke is what I labelled #4? If you still have the plate simply drill out both parts the next size bigger (if it was 1/4, drill 5/16, etc.) and put a bolt (grade 5 is best) with a self locking (nyloc) nut in the hole. Tighten the bolt snug, but not binding. There should be plenty of room for the head and nut in that location. That should do it. If you lost the plate, get one off a junk truck.
You'll need one of those door spring compressing tools to get the spring back in. You need to compress almost every coil of the spring for it to fit back in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Hinge-Spring-Compressor-Tool-For-GM-Vehicles-Small/292190419207?hash=item4407e7f907:g:zsIAAOSwNdBZcUs1

As shown in this picture the tool will NOT compress the sringg enough. It needs to go 1 coil closer to the end on both ends.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,611 Posts
I used a machine bolt with a shank the size of the hole in the arm and the bolt threaded part as close to the hinge hole size as I could find. Lock nut with loctite. Been good for 7 plus years

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I feel like a real idiot, and you all probably agree. I never saw the replies to my original post, lost track when I didn't see any after a week and a half. I was just now revisiting the issue (didn't do anything to fix it yet because it wasn't that annoying) and a Google search brought up my own thread here, and I see the replies from 2-1/2 years ago. I just want to say thanks to everyone who replied, all are helpful, and especially to Hoosier Rick and oldeerslayer who have given me the answer I need.
Better late than never, I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts