S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the bracket I made up for the install.

3/8" thick galvanized sp? steel angle.

they will bolt up to the side of my frame.

top bolt will be a grade 8 1/2" bolt

lower bolt will be a non grade 3/8" bolt.
That way if I hit a pot hole the bottom bolt will snap and the hitch mount will pivit out of the way saving my frame. ( thanks to 98layingframe for that idia)

I will try to get pics with them mounted soon.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
I can tell you that youre right on track, because most likely that bottom bolt will snap. Those hitch balls **** up the frame like nobodys business.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AVTekk said:
I can tell you that youre right on track, because most likely that bottom bolt will snap. Those hitch balls **** up the frame like nobodys business.
yea my frame is all bent from hitch balls rev 1 lol

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
thanks for the credit given :thumbup: But did ya ever figure out where your gona mount them? I guess i gotta get workin on mine too huh? :rant:

·
SOLD
7,551 Posts
any particular reason for using the ball other then that they bolt on
because they are 1. very cheap, and 2. readily available...just about everywhere, hell for those middle of the night drag cravings, you can go down to the local walmart and pick up a set and drag yourself some fun.

My leaf spring perch is all bent and tweaked up from when I drug hitch ball. I couldn't take it off when I was done so I took my angle grinder too it and it heated up and un spun itself LOL
haha same thing happened to me, when i had my leafsprings on is when i used them and i had to actually remove them to get the damn hithc out because the shank bent the hole i mounted it in...lol those brackets might be a step in the right direction though...

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MX_Racer32 said:
..what size shank are those ballhitches? 3\4? how did you drill a hole that big? using a drillpress or something?
It is a 1" hole I had someone plasma the hole out for me ;)

damn can you see the size press I would need for a 1" bit to go through steel lol

·
Fatty~BooM~Daddy
4,239 Posts
damn those look good..u needa manke me some now :) ill pay ya :)

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm let me see what I can get the raw materrials for hitch balls are like $4

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
About this Discussion
166 Replies
58 Participants
baggedime
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing