S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys since nobody answered my last post lately maybe this will help idk, read the thread Valve Size to see what i Posted, My new question is, the guy im getting these from also has virgin sets of Double Hump Heads As well, 1.94 1.50 would i be better off with those rather than the 462 double humps with one head fully ported and both with 2.05 valves? ide have to get the One Head Ported Still and don't know if its gonna be too much for my application

350 .060 over
RPM Intake
Holley 750
Isky cam Adv duration 292, [email protected] lift, .505 valve lifts
Flat Top Aluminum Pistons
the chambers on the heads are 64cc

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
get the stock humps, dont ever buy port work, you never know who did it or how well it's done...I would get the stockers and have them done by somebody you trust...Even if it's more cash, I would try to fina aset of #461's thats the 327ci vette heads and they came with 2.02/1.60 valves and all that good shit...Then cut the spring seats and install guide plates and screw in studs, 3 angle the valves and wala

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll go with that, but ik for a fact that the one head was CNC ported, the other one wasn't finished because the guy didn't pay his bill and left the heads at the machine shop, so should i still go with the Stock ones? and would they need port work or leave them alone and run them?

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
I just said what to do, lol... If your set on the ported ones get them

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
I run Humps and I go over 100mph n/a in the 1/8th, lol Thats unported
I only agreed to the Humps cause I see what he has and he has no future plans listed for a 600hp motor. The humps will be fine I make around 450hp n/a and they flow great. Thats why I love humps cause people think they are crap heads. If anybody has seen my buddies truck run they can see what humps can do. His are ported though

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
vortec's arent any better than Humps.....You have to port them same as Humps, and yes I have ran both and I love my 461 Humps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
10.5_SUCKS said:
I would try to fina aset of #461's thats the 327ci vette heads and they came with 2.02/1.60 valves and all that good shit
Not to sound like a dic or anything but Ive got a set of 461's and they are 1.94 1.50 valves. I believe they came both ways on the 461's but most of the guys around here think just because there double humps there 2.02 1.60's

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
Ive never seen small valve 461's, huh.... I guess bring a tape, lol... make sure they are big valves thats a must

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
I was a humper, and they were great compared to my previous #882s no doubt. But then I went from my ported humps to AFR 195s and it was a HUGE difference.

Hump heads dont flow well, they are all about 50yrs now. Formula took the words out of my mouth. Ive been through this one, I put $800 into my #461s and should have just bought an aftermarket set in the first place.

Will they work for you, most definatly! Can you spend your money a little more wizley, again the answer is yes.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
Hell no don't dump $800 + the heads and parts...screw that get some AFS's for that much. I wouldnt ever spend 88$ on humps. For what he has now and will have the Humps are fine. I have run mid 6's w/ unported hums and my buddy went 6.2's on ported humps... Unless he wants to go faster than that.,...get the humps if they are cheap..

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Thats why I said:
SweetS10V8 said:
Will they work for you, most definatly! Can you spend your money a little more wizley, again the answer is yes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The set im getting is a bare set of 462 Double Humps, and yeah their 1.94 1.50 cut for now idk if i wanna have them cut for the 2.02 valves they are unported, and its not a full strip truck i drive on teh street
AFRS will come in a few years, i just NEED to get rid of the boat Ancher 882s lol should i up them to 2.02s? or leave them 1.94s lol my setup is at the first post

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
btw i have to cut the seats anyways to fit my Comp Cams Springs, also one head has been threaded for sckrew in studs, so i ahve to have the other one done i just wanna know if i should bore them out to 2.02s and how much that would prlly cost.?? u guys always help me out i appreciate it a lot

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey 10.5_sucks what is the rest of your engine to get the 450 hp... I was debating vortec and humps.... after reading how fast you go with unported humps.... ive made my choice...

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Exactly how people get corrupted.... There is always an exeption and people copy a small portion of hoping to cheap out and go just as fast,and 9 times out of 10 end up with crap. Its not just the heads that get him his times.

You have to look at it as, yes it is possible to go that fast with those heads but how fast would it go with a good set of heads??

Back to the original guy, youll need hardened exhaust seats put in for unleaded gas(since your heads are from the 1960s) so you could go 1.6 if you want, but just get a valve job on the intakes and keep the 1.94s. The 2.02s arent going to give you squat except a few hundred less in your pocket. Unless your one of those guys who likes to brag about his 2.02s in his heads that dont flow for crap anyways... Honestly you can pick up good flow from a quality set of valves, and 2 hrs of bowl/guide boss work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
oh I thought u could bolt some heads on a 305 and run 10's WTF I didnt say U go fast from just heads... maybe that is why I asked the rest of his combo...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I planned on staying with the 1.94s anywho, and hardend seats for unleaded? can't i just put lead substitute in to keep everything lubed? if im talking about the right thing here... for the valves should i buy some stainless 1.94s intakes and call it a day? u guys have my combo there im hoping to make like 330-375 ik thats a big spread but i don't think its unattainable at this point if so oh well i'll take what i can get for now

1 - 20 of 51 Posts