S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a problem with the metal behind the door striker pin. It's cracked in like 6 different directions and the pin has some play in it (it has more play than it used to), especially the bottom screw (side to side). The door doesn't close unless I give it some force. How bad of a repair is it and how urgent is this? Is there a risk of the striker coming out of the B-Pillar? Am I looking at a 4 digit repair bill to weld the cracks? Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the pins and bushings?
No. Those are new. I am talking about the doorjam where the door latch hooks onto this striker pin when I close the door. It is on the opposite side from the hinges. It is on the B-Pillar, in front of the hinges for the rear left door. The metal behind that pin is where the cracks are.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok then if its not to far gone it can be re-welded and spotted in. You will just have to check around and get prices if you are unable to do it. It is something you are going to want to get done soon, the longer you wait the more it could end up costing. The price of the repair is going to depend on who does it. Last one I did we charged around 160 for repair and paint.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to 2 body shops today. One estimate was not really exact. The mechanic was talking about $1200 but gave me an estimate for $325 for 6 hours labor with the possibility of having to replace the B-Pillar. I went to another shop that was recommended by a friend who is in my classes at college and he said "$30". I asked several times to make sure that I was hearing it right. I made an appointment for Friday. He said he can bend it out so the door will close correctly and weld the cracks shut. He doesn't even have to remove the striker. 1-2hrs max. Should work out great when this is fixed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I tried to attach the photos, but it isn't working. When I figure this photo attachment system, I will post photos.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*figure out

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed. The body shop bended the pin back out, welded it, hit it with some paint and covered it in this white grease to prevent rust. The door closes correctly and I no longer have to slam it to close it. Problem solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.