S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but couldn't find anything. Has anyone had to replace the roller pin for their door before? Its the roller that the "ratchet" on the door uses to hold the door open not the door pin. I can get the part from a local dealer but I'm not sure how to actually replace it. Mine is bent (no longer circular) and when the roller is in a certain position it allows the roller to pop out of place causing my door be stuck wide open. It's done it twice so far and the last time I was able to get the spring out so I could just have it "disengaged" for the time being. Thanks.

·
JON
652 Posts
it is not bad if you have the tools. best bet is to go ahead and get a roller kit and 2 pin and bushing kits as they wear out fast on these trucks. you will need a hammer, door spring compressor, chisel, punch, cutting tool, and misc hand tools
1. unhook the wiring to allow door removal
2 knock out the upper and lower pins
3. remove door
4. use a chisel or a cut off tool and remove the top of the old roller pin
5. next you will have to drive down on the roller pin to remove
6. install new roller pin and roller
7. replace bushings in body hinges and door hinges
8. reinstall door
9. install new upper and lower door pins
10. reinstall wiring
11 install door spring.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, you've got to be kidding me! I was definitely not expecting that much of a process. I was hoping that there would be a way to just replace the roller without having to replace the pin...so much for that.

·
It's a 4. something
3,980 Posts
wow, I didn't know you could even buy the roller pin. I bought a 98 S10 back during the summer and the roller pin is broken completely off. I figured aftermarket hinges were my only option.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, I didn't know you could even buy the roller pin. I bought a 98 S10 back during the summer and the roller pin is broken completely off. I figured aftermarket hinges were my only option.
Yep, you have to get them from a chevy dealer. Here it was about $12 for the pin and $10 for the roller. I think there's another piece I need though to connect the roller to the pin. You can see it in the link that one of the posters found at the beginning of the thread. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get the roller and that other piece off without needing to remove the pin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts