S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Josh
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new paint and new doors well the ones that were on there to begin with were not straight at all, well I've changed the pins and door bushings but when I shut them they are incredibly hard to shut and the chip the paint around the edges, any ideas on how to straighten them easily?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
These doors can't be adjusted since the hinges are welded onto the body and door frame. Since you've changed the pins and bushings, my guess is your lock mechanism is worn or out of adjustment.

Because my bushings are worn, my door sags slightly and I have to lift the door up a bit when closing. I noticed that my lock mechanism as well as the latch post in the door jam show signs of abnormal wear due the the sagging door. When I change my pins and bushings, I will also change the lock mechanism.

Hope this helps.

·
mr. clean
241 Posts
you can hang on the door a little to bring it down or you can set a jack under the door and force it up. i use a small 2x4 and a shirt to protect the bottom of the door. if your body line is even you can knock the striker bolt up or down.

i did this on my doors and it worked good. one still catches a little, but not as bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The best way to align the door is to first remove the striker pin on the door jamb the door needs to fit the opening without the latch interfering. If your door is sagging first lift the rear up and down to check for worn pins and bushings, it should move very little.. Replace if needed. If you pins and bushings are in good shape you can raise the rear of the door by putting a socket in the bottom hinge with the door open and push the door in, the socket will bind the hinge and bend the hinge back to raise the door. Do this gently as it is easier to go further than to bend back if you go to far. If you need to move the whole door back alternate between the top and bottom hinge with this procedure. When the door fits the opening you can reinstall and adjust the striker pin. Keep your door bushings greased and don't forget the little wheel that the arm that keeps the door open rides on that likes a couple drops of motor oil. I do bodywork for a living 36 yrs. experience and will be happy to answer any other questions on alignment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts