S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i change my door pins? my drivers doors sagging but i have no clue how to replace them

·
Registered
481 Posts
it's lots of fun i just did mine this weekend...
So here goes

first, if you can get someone to help it'll make this process a little easier if not a floor jack works you just need something to hold up the door..
things you'll need first the door pins and bushing local auto parts store will have them next you'll ne a special tool to remove the spring from under the top pin. it look like a par of tongs but with a bolt through the middle holding the two peices together. A long punch, Hammer, pliers, and a flat blade screwdriver.

STEP 1: Take the spring remover and slid it around the spring and tighten the bolt this put more pressure on the spring causing it to shrink allowing you to remove it. once you get it out set the spring and spring compressor away from you so you don't bump it.
STEP 2: Take the screwdriver and pry the keeper clip off the top pin.
STEP 3: Now support the back of the door.. Then Drive the top pin out.
STEP 4: Lean the door one way or the other and drive the bushing out. Replace them with the new ones then install the new pin and keeper clip.
Repeat steps 2-4 for the bottom and then install the spring and your done.. took me about an hour but I took my door all the way off to "adjust" the hinge itself. The adjustment required a very complicated tool "a really big Hammer".

Hope this helps

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Ah, so very convenient! I was just about to ask this very same question... I already bought the hinge pins and bushings, although I didn't know there was a special tool.... My Dad said to use a hammer and chisel to remove the old hinge pin... I was thinking more along the lines of a Sawzall? Or, would that fock stuff up beyond recognition????
I gotta do mine in the worst way, so I can shut my freakin' door... grr...

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Gotta worry about first things first... I need a new tire, but all the focking tire shops close at 2 on Saturday.... (I found this out at 2:30)
Thanks for the advice, I didn't really think it would be all that complicated...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts