S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i redid my door panels in my dd and came across some issue. so what i did was cut out the stock speaker grill and molded in my boston acoustics speaker grill using a combination of fiberglass on the back of the grill and bondo on the front to molded it in place and give it shape. i also covered the map pocket with mdf, fiberglass, and bondo and molded the tweeter on it. smoothed the plastic and painted it flat black, wrapped the upper with red vinyl and painted the arm rest glossy black.

The Problem:

My Problem is that the speaker grill flexed and the bondo split from the door panel to the grill. this also happened with my tweeters molded into the a-pillar. is this something that cant be avoided it the piece is flexed or vibrates to much? would using fiberglass mixed bondo fix this issue instead of just bondo?

any help would be nice i dont plan on fixing the issue for a couple of months til i move but would like to have a plan on how to fix this issue

i circled the area it split

Attachments

·
Blacked out Z
289 Posts
bondo is NOT STRUCTURAL and will crack under movement and vibration. I forget the rule of thumb, but i would never bondo more then 1/16" thick. Use more fiberglass, infact an excess even is ok, sand down the excess glass, then use bondo to just even out the surface. Bondo fills small inperfections, it is not ment to be structural or to be used as some sort of coating.

·
·
6,837 Posts
what he said

·
·
6,837 Posts
haha i wish i had a different nickname sometimes lol

·
Blacked out Z
289 Posts
haha:haha: