S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side door bushings are shot and have got so bad that it has egg shaped the top two holes in the hinge. I have read that you can weld the hole up some and redrill it but it seems like alot of trouble to fill in a small place in the hinge.

When I replace the bushing can I press it in and then use something like JB Weld or there is another putty like stuff you kned together that hardens like metel to put in the elongated part of the hole to help give it support along the back side of bushing to prolong it from just wearing it out fast too???

Hope I explained what I am wanting to do so you can understand.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
i just changed mine this past week the bottom hole was egg shaped, the bushing kit you get the bushings are really big, so it filled the hole. i didn't have to do anything else

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't worry about the worn holes. Just replace the bushings and it will be ok. Mine we're rounded on one side but the door works perfect with new bushings. It is not an easy job by the way, you will need a friend to hold the door up and you will need a heavy hammer, plus get as much "swinging" distance as you can under the door, you gotta hit those buggers hard.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?
627 Posts
if the door pins have worn through the bushing and have gotten into the hinge and egg shaped the hole you probably need to get a hinge repair kit that includes oversized steel pins and greaseable bushings and if you dont you will have to replace them again soon. you can try to replace them but my experience has been that the new bushings will litteraly fall out of the holes because the holes are worn so bad. i just installed one of the repair kits on my s-10 and all of the up and down slack is now gone i tried original bushings first and the door still sagged.

·
I LIKE LAMP
9 Posts
I work in a machine shop, and Iam going to make my own kit...Delrin bushings...and steel pins...tapped on the bottom....and will be held in with a screw....I will be able to make them whatever size i see fit....

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?
627 Posts
if your going to make some steel bushings you just tack weld them into place. the repair kits that you buy have oversized bushings and you have to press them into the holes. depending on how bad the holes are you can either use loctite or spot weld them. heres the link to the repair kit. http://andyz28.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts are that the egg shaped part of the hole will be the weak point for the new bushing as it will wont to bend the new bushing in to the shape of the hole after time with the weight of the door ( just like what it has done to make it egg shaped to start with). If I put JB weld in the egg shaped portion after I press the new bushings in then the bushing would have something solid to lean against in that area and should not want to bend and should just wear as a normal bushing would do.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?
627 Posts
My thoughts are that the egg shaped part of the hole will be the weak point for the new bushing as it will wont to bend the new bushing in to the shape of the hole after time with the weight of the door ( just like what it has done to make it egg shaped to start with). If I put JB weld in the egg shaped portion after I press the new bushings in then the bushing would have something solid to lean against in that area and should not want to bend and should just wear as a normal bushing would do.
if the hole sare egg shaped you could put some jb weld in there let it dry the ream the hole back out so the bushing fits properly you could also put a lil weld in there and after you weld it you can grind the hole back round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts