S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one small ding in our passenger door. The paint is not chipped or anything. What do you have to do to get it out? Can you do it yourself? If not, how much would it cost?

Thanks,
twins0203

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
they dont work that well on black paint though. the shop told me you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Try taking your door off, and setting it on the floor (On a tarp or something). Get a hair dryer or a portable heater and heat the area up on the bad boy up so it's warm to the touch. Immediately set 3-4 Ice Cubes (5-6 if you have an icemaker) into the ding. If by the time the ice melts it doesn't pop out, then try something else.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blazin said:
Try taking your door off, and setting it on the floor (On a tarp or something). Get a hair dryer or a portable heater and heat the area up on the bad boy up so it's warm to the touch. Immediately set 3-4 Ice Cubes (5-6 if you have an icemaker) into the ding. If by the time the ice melts it doesn't pop out, then try something else.
Does the ice pull the dent out? Heres a pic of the dent. Its not a very good pic but i guess it'll do.

Thanks,
twins0203

·
Registered
357 Posts
I cant even see it. It doesnt pull it out. If you think about how heat expands and cold contracts, the immediate burst of sub zero temperature should have the dent pop itself out unless it's too deep. Its definitly worth a try.

·
Registered
287 Posts
serious, you can't even see, it, what did you do to it? about that ice cube thing, that was the first time i heard of that, i would like to see the ice jump when/if it works.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pic didn't come out very well.... you can see it better in person. It came in the door when we bought the truck. We haven't tried the ice thing yet though.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
twins0203 said:
No, we bought it used. It had 6,500 miles on it when we got it.

C-Ya Later,
twins0203
I would have made them fix it before I bought it.

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
"Try taking your door off, and setting it on the floor (On a tarp or something). Get a hair dryer or a portable heater and heat the area up on the bad boy up so it's warm to the touch. Immediately set 3-4 Ice Cubes (5-6 if you have an icemaker) into the ding. If by the time the ice melts it doesn't pop out, then try something else."

Sorry about the poor quote, but that does work. Its not just the ice that makes it work though, thats only half of it. You neet the heat too. make it so its hot to the touch, not just warm. think about leaving it out all day in the sun and how hot it gets, thats about how hot you want to get it. and hold the ice on the dent, dont let it slide off. if it is simply a dent, it should come out, but if the metal has creased, tec term "reached its modulous of elasticity" its not gunna come out w heat & ice. You could also try taking the door panel off, heat the dent w/a heat gun and push it out from the inside, the heat will soften the dent and make it easier to push it out. good luck!
Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts