S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys um I'm hoping you guys can help me once more ever since I got my 91 jimmy my dome light wont work unless I turn on the cargo light I had to re-wire the dome light in my 85 s15 but this seems to be wired different I want it to work though.

It seems to have power to both sides of where the bulb plugs in at all times :eek: now I know on my truck and I am thinking its the same on here the door switch works the ground for the interior lights now my under dash lights work with the door but not the dimmer switch.

I read that you have to do something with the wires going to the stereo brown and black I think are the ones to do something with if you have an aftermarket stereo like I do but what am i supposed to do to get this damn light working.

I am getting close to just wiring it into a switch soon.

Oh one more thing I have checked the orange and white wires coming from under the dash going back but cant seem to find a problem there.

·
started as a 4X4 anyway
793 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me. If both terminals are hot at all times then the light should be on at all times. But you said it works like normal with the cargo light. So when cargo light is off then dome light should be off.

Normally I would check the door switches. If opening your door does not turn them on but the dimmer switch does, then door switch is bad.

I could hardly make sense of your post, but from what I can make of it, I believe your dimmer switch is bad.

If door switch and dimmer switch does not turn it on but cargo switch does, then dimmer switch is bad.

You do not have to use the dimmer wire when switching to an aftermarket head unit, I never do and all of my trucks dome lights work normal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i have been dealing with dome lights not working on my 92 jimmy.

Power to dome lights is supposed to be hot at all times and the curcuit is controlled by grounds. there is the door switch the dimmer and the switch at the hatch light.

I couldnt figure it out and it getting cold here so i just ran new wires.i got my power from the fuse panel and ran a ground to the driver door switch. I also ran a ground from the rear hatch switch to a ground screw for the wiper. now everything works as it should.
Then i realized that my rear hatch also doesnt pop cause the relay wasnt getting ground. I suppect at least in my case there is a bad ground somewhere in my truck i just cant find it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have been dealing with dome lights not working on my 92 jimmy.

Power to dome lights is supposed to be hot at all times and the curcuit is controlled by grounds. there is the door switch the dimmer and the switch at the hatch light.

I couldnt figure it out and it getting cold here so i just ran new wires.i got my power from the fuse panel and ran a ground to the driver door switch. I also ran a ground from the rear hatch switch to a ground screw for the wiper. now everything works as it should.
Then i realized that my rear hatch also doesnt pop cause the relay wasnt getting ground. I suppect at least in my case there is a bad ground somewhere in my truck i just cant find it.
my mistake if it was confusing

um badbowtie I have been thinking about doing that or a toggle switch but i want things to work like stock so I might just rewire it but do it off both doors if I can. I'm not to particular about the dome light coming on with the cargo light anyway so there's no big deal with removing power from that switch to the dome light.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn't make sense to me. If both terminals are hot at all times then the light should be on at all times. But you said it works like normal with the cargo light. So when cargo light is off then dome light should be off.

Normally I would check the door switches. If opening your door does not turn them on but the dimmer switch does, then door switch is bad.

I could hardly make sense of your post, but from what I can make of it, I believe your dimmer switch is bad.

If door switch and dimmer switch does not turn it on but cargo switch does, then dimmer switch is bad.

You do not have to use the dimmer wire when switching to an aftermarket head unit, I never do and all of my trucks dome lights work normal.

yes the dome light comes on and goes out with the cargo light thats the only time it works

um well second the under dash lights come on with the doors open but not the dimmer switch.

hmm ok i was thinking something was up with that

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
OK, just for fun, unplug the rear cargo light, the relay is in the assembly, unplug it and see if it changes anything. But you should only have voltage at the orange wire, the switch grounds the circuit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my mistake if it was confusing

um badbowtie I have been thinking about doing that or a toggle switch but i want things to work like stock so I might just rewire it but do it off both doors if I can. I'm not to particular about the dome light coming on with the cargo light anyway so there's no big deal with removing power from that switch to the dome light.
by connecting a new ground wire to the door switch and sending constant power to to the lights it will work just like stock.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i know how to re-wire it i just dont really want to my biggest thing is i cant seem to get the door switches out of the cab to get to the wires but that soloniod sounds like it might be my problem if its sending power when it shouldnt

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I found the problem some idiot replaced the wires under the carpet by the peddles the white wire the guy must have cut a peace out then used the shrink rap stuff on it gotta give him credit for that but the orange power wire he completely replaced with a black wire somewhere in there it wasn't making a connection on the ground wire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts