S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any pointers or maybe why i shouldnt do it. i have some pretty bad swirlage to my paint so hopefully this will get some out.

·
Make Way for the Bad Guy
821 Posts
No reason not to, what color is your truck? You might also consider using clay bar before you start if time permits to get rid of spotting, old wax, etc.

You probably already know all this but... Wash the truck real good before you start.. use 100% cotton cloths and work in small areas. Try not to apply it in direct sunlight and wipe it off as soon as it hazes over. Your arm will hurt like hell towards the end but it'll be worth it. Oh and take some before/after pics for us. :D

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
truck is black and how long should i leave each step on? I plan on doing this in my garage after i wash it of course. I am going to wash it with dial soap before i do the 3 step. How long should i permit to do the 3 step with time to spare to take a shower before i go to work?

·
Make Way for the Bad Guy
821 Posts
Dishsoap such as Dawn will work to strip the truck of its old wax before you start (because dishsoap is made to take grease and film off dishes), I'm not sure if dial soap will have the same effect but it might.

Don't leave any of the steps on long, usually around a minute tops. You will see it haze up, which means its time to wipe up. The haze will be especially visable on a black truck so you'll know. Like I said, try to apply in small 6 inch x 6 inch squares. This is time consuming and you'll be temped to do it in larger areas, but it seems to comes out best this way.

Not counting the initial wash, I usually plan on a healthy 3 hours (if not more) for something like the 3 step, hour per step roughly. Really depends on how fast you work and how thorough you are.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it isnt a good idea to do the whol truck and then wipe it off? Or should i do it panel by panel? Like say do the hood then do the fenders and then the door?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Never use dish soap to wash a truck. True it does strip wax of, but it can also take the "nutrients" out of the clear coat, therefore drying it, and possibly leading to cracking. So the meguiar's website said. Use a good car specific soap. I like Meguiar's gold class, the best. Also when I do a 3 stepper on my truck, the meguiar's as well, I apply the cleaner, polish, or wax to the whole truck, because it takes a little bit for it to haze up. Then I wipe it all off. If you have access to an orbital buffer, I use that to apply. My arm doesn't hurt as much at the end. Plus I can apply more evenly than if I applied by hand. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had swirls on my old black car. I dont use all three steps. I only have done it that way if the paint was way oxidized. If you dont want swirl marks just put a light coat of the number 2 (I think?), it should be the wet/gloss look buff. It takes out all the little swirls in the paint without creating buffing swirls. Of course you should be proficeint with a good buffer too. I did mine like that once a year. Mothers clay bar works wonders on paint too, so you might do that first.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
V6MaroFL said:

Don't leave any of the steps on long, usually around a minute tops. You will see it haze up, which means its time to wipe up. The haze will be especially visable on a black truck so you'll know. Like I said, try to apply in small 6 inch x 6 inch squares. This is time consuming and you'll be temped to do it in larger areas, but it seems to comes out best this way.

Let the polish and wax sit for only a minute? No way, try 20 minutes. Leaving it on for a minute, its not even going to do anything, its not even dry by then.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
He's right. There is no reason to leave it on any longer than it takes to haze. That is usually a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i finally did it since i had to wait for my chip fracture in my knucle had time to feel better. In all honesty im dissapointed. for the work that i put into it yet it gave me a great shine but the smoothness is second to none to my Zaino. Im going to buy the zaion swirl remover and give that a whirl with the Zaino polish. The zaino wax did a better job with one coat then this stuff did through all 3 stages.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way here is my truck after a fresh wash with the 5 month old Zaino wax job still on it. The pictures dont even do my truck justice of how good it still looks but i thought i would give this stuff a try and will never touch any other wax besides Zaino.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
g-visor, you could have at least cleaned your extreme before posting it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
www.zainobros.com

go there, read up.......zaino didnt really create a revolutionary wax, just a better way to wash a car.....i have seen damn good results from meguairs gold class applied using the zaino directions.

·
without the 20's...
504 Posts
so the three step sucks or what? i just bought it today. tell me about this orbital buffer... my black is starting to get swirls. g_visser that shiot looks good!

·
without the 20's...
504 Posts
Just finished Step 1. Looks like 2 and 3 will go tomorrow. No more sleeping til 1:00. I was always scared I might screw up with a buffer but I might give it a try if it's that easy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts