S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a turbo charging kit for a 4.3, haven't dealt much with turbos or supers. The reason i ask is because ~$700 for a turbo kit compared to the vortech kits for 2500-3500 is crazy.

Here's the link.

There are obviously no reviews but are there any red flags in the pictures? Was looking through their amazon profile and it seems like it could be right.

42,128 Posts
That's about all you're getting is 6-700 dollars worth of crap there. Then you have to think about the rest of the fabrication involved for the cold side, fuel delivery, computer/tuning etc... All that costs money too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not even going to open the link because any good turbo would run $700+ just for the turbo. A good tubular turbo manifold will run just as much. Cast log manifolds are cheaper but have their own draw backs.

I used part of an eBay turbo kit one time. Got it brand new for $300 and sold the turbo for the going rate of scrap metal. The rubber couplers most kits come with won't hold up to more than 7 or 8 psi when new. Once heat and age get to them forget it.

There is a reason good turbo and supercharger kits run so much. You really do get what you pay for

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok I couldn't resist. I opened the link.

How the heck are they expecting to spool a turbo with only 3 cylinders? Maybe I'm not seeing it but most decent v6 or v8 turbo kits have a crossover pipe so both banks spin the turbo.

As the exhaust spins the turbine it exits out the turbo to the rest of the exhaust. It doesn't appear to have any provision for linking the exhaust to spool the turbo. Unless they expect you to build it yourself

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I couldn't resist. I opened the link.

How the heck are they expecting to spool a turbo with only 3 cylinders? Maybe I'm not seeing it but most decent v6 or v8 turbo kits have a crossover pipe so both banks spin the turbo.

As the exhaust spins the turbine it exits out the turbo to the rest of the exhaust. It doesn't appear to have any provision for linking the exhaust to spool the turbo. Unless they expect you to build it yourself
Okay yeah see I'm completely new to the idea of turbos. I get the general gist of it. I would ask a lot more questions but I'm sure they've been answered somewhere else on the forum. I knew it would be too low to even be worth looking into.

I was thinking about going with a swap instead of a turbo, just because of cost vs. Gain. I just like the idea of a turbo.
If I were to swap a 6.0 Lq4, what would be a good transmission to mate it with? And would i be able to put a manual? (Read somewhere that the 6.0 in most cars were usually mounted to a 4l80e)
Dont quote me on that though

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a post some where with a link to an ls swap using the tr6060 which is the 6speed manual from the Camaro. Basically yes you can swap a manual in behind the ls. The people in the link used bucket seats with a center console and they cut out the bottom of the cup holder and ran the shifter up through there. Using the stock shifter boot made almost look stock.

When I was considering an ls swap I found several ls3 engine, tr6060 manual and computer with full harnesses starting at $5000 on eBay. Those are from 2010+ SS Camaros. Just search eBay for ls3 and there are plenty of complete drop outs. Just avoid the Corvette tr6060 as it requires a lot of extra work to the transmission to make it compatible for swapping.

Edit: the GTO came with ls and manual as well. I believe a guy in Arizona did the swap using GTO stuff and ran into an issue when doing the emmision test. Something about the ecm saying it was a GTO but the truck was actually an s10. I would have to dig a lot to find a link to that post since everything is gone now from my following tab. Either way you may want to look into local laws before attempting a turbo build or engine swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts