S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am looking for some 10ply (load E) a/t tires given the roads i go down. so far one company makes a regular a/t tire. Not sure what tire i can fit on a 15" rim without rubbing hence asking about lifting the front end a little so i can fit a bigger tire that may have better options?

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
494 Posts
All 4x4 S-10 ZR2 trucks use a torsion bar frontend. I would not recommend going over 1.5" on the stock bars. You can do this by turning the adjusting bolt in a full turn for each 1/4" of lift. So 1.5" of lift would need 6 full revolutions on the adjuster bolt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well i had to go past the 6 full turns to gain an inch of lift. I havent measured stock height but at 6 full it was around 18.25" now it sits at 19" or very close to it.

·
Been there Done it
8,599 Posts
You need to consider if 3/4" is worth the harsher ride 6 turns will give you and the added wear and tear on the ball joints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my old chevy z71 wish i still had it but a lot of bad ideas (traded it in) put a size bigger and didn't have any problems on stock height.

Love my s10 though miss the bluetooh radio in it and the v8 sound

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
494 Posts
I had a 2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab Zr5 and put 30x9.50R15 BFG All terrain tires on it. Sounds like your original torsion bars may be weak. If you can't get the whole 1.5" of lift then you may need to replace your torsion bars. Mine didn't ride any firmer turned up than it did at stock height. I think mine sat at 19.5" from the center of the hub to the lower fender lip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you
I had a 2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab Zr5 and put 30x9.50R15 BFG All terrain tires on it. Sounds like your original torsion bars may be weak. If you can't get the whole 1.5" of lift then you may need to replace your torsion bars. Mine didn't ride any firmer turned up than it did at stock height. I think mine sat at 19.5" from the center of the hub to the lower fender lip.
Thank you. I take it that was on the stock rim? Based on the way the 16 Silverado looks i put the trucks through some stuff my 17 ram ecodiesel (last truck) she seen a good amount on stock ties
Mine doesn't ride any different but i think I'm maxed out on the bolt.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,620 Posts
You might want to check the cv angle...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do what angles are they supposed to be at? I know some trucks require new control arms to fix the issue if you lift it past a certain amount

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,620 Posts
You'll be able to tell if they are too steep...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I, will check them out in the morning hopefully i don't have to change out parts to fit the tires i want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out the internet is a great tool. I found out that i can run the size i want on a stock wheel setup(apparently its been asked several times on this forum). But will see if discount tire can test fit them. It won't happen anytime soon though.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
494 Posts
I had mine on the stock ZR5 wheels. What tire size are you wanting to use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well now I'm second guessing myself if this tire size will fit now but at the same token not all tires are the exact size in the chart. I know the same tire in the link will fit since its 235/75. Also checked the angles on the front end and they seem ok. I might sound dumb but going with the size i want should help the angles out?

The ideal size is 30x10x15 but i think that falls under the atv class?

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
494 Posts
Your ideal size is basically a 30x9.50x15 and use it on a 15x8 rim size with around 5-6" backspace. You could also step up to a 30x9.50x16 size on a 16" rim to use the brand tire you like. As long as the overall height is close it doesn't matter on the rim diameter.

·
Old Fart
3,816 Posts
I used to run the Fun Country tires you had in the first link on my XJ Jeeps and I consider them the best all-around tire for a 4 X 4. You can't go wrong with them they work well on wet roads, snow, mud, and even dry pavement. I can't help with what size you can run on your S10 4 X 4 as I have never had one since 84 and I ran 9.50 X 15s on it as I remember. As big of a difference as that chart shows you should re-gear it to prevent power loss and messing with your ECU. In my last XJ, I went to 4.10 gears to run 31X10.5 tires, and that 4.0 engine is much torquier than your 4.3.

You should have at least an 8-inch wide wheel for that size tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts