S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was put in the 1st gen by mistake. Though it could apply to either, mine is a 94 2.2L, 4 cyl, 2wheel drive, manual trans.

I'm an admitted ignoramus. 94 S-10 manual transmission, just came down today from a mountain that was about 3,000 elevation (irrelevant info probably). Went UP the mountain just fine, lots of switchbacks, going in second gear taking it slow to see the sights on the way but not a single vehicle issue. Going back downhill, I coasted the entire way in neutral, stopping to take pictures occasionally (really this is not an ad for "Field&Stream" or "Nat'l Geographic, promise) and the engine still purred like a kitten. (Don't they always, just before they turn into a bucking bronc before they puke their last and then die?)

After the road leveled out, there was a slight upgrade, so I put it in first. I was in the middle of a curve, in the middle of the road because there were lots of potholes. On the upgrade, the engine still purred but the truck wouldn't go. I let it go backwards downhill in neutral, and tried to rev it up to get over this imaginary "hump". It still couldn't get moving. I put the e-brake on, revved RPM's high, threw it into first, then took off the e-brake and tried to get it at least to the side of the road. No soap. After an hour of trying, and having moved about 5 inches, I gave up and called a tow truck.

Being that I was out of my home zone and had no idea where to take it, I called a friend who looked up the address where I was near, and had it towed to a shop nearby I had never heard of before. Of course I hadn't, it was a small town shop behind a strip mall. After it was off the tow truck, a mechanic drove it ten feet into the shop, and said it didn't apparently have any problem.

Uh.

So I put it in reverse (which it seemed to have no problem with), drove it about 200 yards backwards, then put it in first gear. It bucked and puked all the way back into the bay. "I guess it DOES have a problem", mechanic says. He asks when the last fuel filter was done, and it was a year ago last September, about 7000 miles ago. He takes it off anyway, inspects it, doesn't see any problem with it, then he does a compression check.

Compression is about 8.

I'm not convinced it's the fuel pump, because it DOES start and it idles just fine but it does not want to go forward. I know 94 does not give codes and the check engine light is and has always been just a guiding light when you start the car, it has NEVER functioned to actually alert me that there is an engine problem. But he's guessing and using my wallet to do it with and it makes me nervous. I don't really know jack about engines, but the fuel pump went out about four years ago, and my first indicator was that the engine would not start at all.

Am I going to end up throwing $500 away on a fuel pump?

Oh, and also, he says I have rats nesting in my engine because he saw a snail near where the sparks are, and he says they have been there a LONG TIME and have probably eaten half of my hoses and wires. The funny thing about that is that three weeks ago, before I left for a long road trip, there were no snails under the hood. Am I going insane, or have the rats eaten my brain (and all of my hoses)? How could rats have eaten the hoses when there is not a single drip or drop of anything leaking?

I got great mileage during the road trip, about 30 mpg. He said I was getting great mileage because the fuel pump was going out, and it runs leaner when they're dying, so beware of good MPG. :bugeye:

It's late, if anyone can explain these deep dark S-10 secrets I may or may not wake up in the morning to resume my nightmare.

·
CuStOmIzEd?
519 Posts
if your fuel pump is going then your truck should either run for a few seconds and then quit...or not start at all...it sounds to me like your truck is in a poe-dunk town where the "mechanics" try and rip you off...fuel pumps have nothing to do with compression...if your motor has no compression it more than likely needs to be rebuilt...did he show you the guage he used when turning the motor over to see that it only had 8 lbs of compression when turning over or did he just tell you that? it sounds like maybe your tranny has problems if it goes fine in reverse but won't move in 1st maybe your 1st gear is ****ed..or possibly clutch problems? i dunno...wait for other's remarks before jumping to conclusions.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
The '94 is OBDI and it will set and store codes. They are even easier to read than OBDII codes by using just a paper clip.

When you 1st noticed the problem on the way back down from the mountain coasting, did you ride the brakes? If you did they could have been damaged from the heat. This may be nothing more than a brake problem. I would make sure the wheels rotate freely.

Are you sure he said a compression test, or did he mean fuel pressure test? If the fuel pressure is only 8 psi, then I'd have to say the pump is DOA

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your response, dime. yes the po-dunk factor is high. not so much po-dunk but they think i'm jed clampett and that i wipe with benjamins. it's a small town, very affluent.

i saw the gauge during the compression check, but did not see when they put it on. the needle at first went to 3, then he revved it up some more and got it up to 8, so he looked on some computer and said "fuel pump".

it had a new clutch put in about 20,000 miles ago, it had trouble from the git go with that replacement, always trying to stall out every time i came to a stop. and when i called the shop here to get the tow, i told him i thought it was the clutch. but he says it shifts just fine, that if it were the clutch it would not shift at all -- however that was not true the first clutch that failed.

when i mentioned that i let it in neutral to back up to try to make it over the hump, i forgot to mention here that thought the shift lever was in neutral, it was acting like it was actually in reverse. like it was going a lot faster than just idling in neutral going backwards down a small hill.

he said he's got the part ordered and will be done by noon, so i have a feeling he'll be calling me saying well you owe us 550 so far, and your truck still doesn't drive worth a crap. if that does happen i will be taking it to the nearest shop a real transmission shop. just got screwed because i was in a bad spot and needed a tow fast and got a bum recommendation. i'm into it so far for 95 for the tow, 70 for "diagnostic". "diagnostic" means do a compression check, 70 bucks for ten minutes of that. ugh. think i should bail before they can put anything in it?

if your fuel pump is going then your truck should either run for a few seconds and then quit...or not start at all...it sounds to me like your truck is in a poe-dunk town where the "mechanics" try and rip you off...fuel pumps have nothing to do with compression...if your motor has no compression it more than likely needs to be rebuilt...did he show you the guage he used when turning the motor over to see that it only had 8 lbs of compression when turning over or did he just tell you that? it sounds like maybe your tranny has problems if it goes fine in reverse but won't move in 1st maybe your 1st gear is ****ed..or possibly clutch problems? i dunno...wait for other's remarks before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i saw the gauge when they were doing the test, but did not see where they were putting the gauge. would the gauge be up near where the spark plugs are? because that seemed to be where the gauge was.

he did not try to run an electronic diagnostic

on the way down i was going pretty slow, because i was taking a lot of pictures. so not a lot of braking, if i was going 5 mph most of the time. i had my brakes front and rear checked three weeks ago, schwab said there is plenty of pads left, calipers are great and i was good to go.

if you knew me you'd know i don't do anything fast up and down hills on account of a cracked head i got once by zooming up a straight vertical 8,000 foot grade. now i don't go any higher than 2nd gear going up steep hills, and idle speed in neutral coming down.

i'm gonna have to call him and ask him what kind of pressure check it was. thanks for your help.

The '94 is OBDI and it will set and store codes. They are even easier to read than OBDII codes by using just a paper clip.

When you 1st noticed the problem on the way back down from the mountain coasting, did you ride the brakes? If you did they could have been damaged from the heat. This may be nothing more than a brake problem. I would make sure the wheels rotate freely.

Are you sure he said a compression test, or did he mean fuel pressure test? If the fuel pressure is only 8 psi, then I'd have to say the pump is DOA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts