S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Sono ZQ8 and recently purchased a Belltech 2/2 drop with spindles and blocks. I have stock ZQ8 tires and rims but I also need new tires. Will 245/50/16 rub in the front or will they clear. Did the 2/2 drop increase your handling or do you have to dodge pot holes and bumps? Did you need to cut the bumpstops with a 2/2??Lastly, are you happy with your 2/2 drop or are you wanting to put 3 inch blocks in the rear for a 2/3??? Thanx for all the help.

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
I have a 2/2 drop on mine, my stock zq8 tire and wheel combo clear everything fine. The tire will just rub a little on the frame at full lock of the wheel. I sure wouldn't be blasting over any pot holes of bumps, The front suspension will bottom out over pot holes etc, and the front tries will get shoved into the wheel wells at high speed dips. You just have to be a little cautious thats all. I didn't cut the bump stop brackets off but I removed most of the rubber bump stop itself, and it workes great for me. I wouldn't put 3" blocks in the back I'm often carrying stuff in the back to make it sit level any way. I love my 2/2 drop, it's just enough without being too low.

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesss!! I agree totally. I've looked at a few 2/2 and 2/3 drops and for the daily driver 2/2 is best all round. Does anyone got some pic's of some 2/2's Ext. and non-ext. cab?? What about the 245's not the 235 on stock zq8, will they only rub the frame at full lock?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Here's mine when I had a 2/2 drop with spindles and blocks with stock zq8 wheels.

It would only rub when turned at full lock on the frame or when I go thru a dip fast. And only the top of the tire rubs the inner fender.

Here is when I put my 245-40-18 wheels on.

It didn't rub any worse than the 235 zq8's. But if you get tires bigger than 25.7" tall, they will rub in front bad when lowered 2". In the back no problem. Hope this helps.

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you think the 2/2 drop would look with ZQ8 rims but 245/45/16's?? They are 24.6" Tall so they shouldnt rub? Damn, good lookin truck to man!!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hey thanks for the props. :) 245-45-16 might look funny because they are an inch smaller in diameter compared to the stock zq8's and might leave too much gap between the tire and the fenderwell. And they will definitely look way too small in the rear, unless you're bagged. Try and go with a tire around the same size as stock, 26.2" or 26" and you'll be good. But I wouldn't go any bigger than 255 wide in front when stock and no bigger than 245 with the 2 inch spinlde installed. Just my .02

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hold up, I must be coinfused??

I thought you said that anything over 25.7" Tall will rub?? How could I use a stock or close to stock tire size (26.1"-26.2") w/o rubbing then?? Do I just have to deal with the rubbing. Could be a motivation for rims?mmmmm....Should I just get 245/55/16 or go lower-pro with the 245/50/16??Damn rims are so expensive!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My bad, I think I put too many suggestions up before. Ok let me say it this way. :) When I had my stock 235-55-16, which are 26.2", they only rubbed when turned fully or when going thru a dip and the suspension compressed. Then they also hit the top of the inner fenders. So now with my 18s, 245-40-18, they only seem to rub slightly on the frame when turned fully, but don't rub the fender at all when going thru big dips. Now that is a 245 wide tire, but a 40 series. The sidewalls are very stright. My 235-55-16 tires have a very bowed, or curved sidewall, maybe this sticks out further than the 18s. Not sure. But if you want to drop your truck and go with a wider tire, you could get a 255-50-16 which is 26" tall, or 245-50-16 which is 25.6" tall. Something at or below 26.2" I guess. I just make sure I don't crank the wheel all the way. :D Maybe you could go to your local tire shop and see what they recommend. I'm sure they know a lot more about this than I do. :)

So hopefully this helps more. Let me know if you have anymore ?'s and I'll try and help out. -Scott

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for all the help man!! So basically I can't do a 2" drop in the front w/o rubbing on stock ZQ8 Rims?

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
with stock tires on my zq8's i never rubbed once with a 2/3 drop.
a 255 in front is a bit wide may rub some. 245/50/16 should be fine. may rub a little at full lock but thats about it.it is only 25.6 tall so thats quite a bit smaller than the stock 26.2

·
All Class
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aight, good deal. Thanx for all the help guys, when i get back to Gainesville after the UF vs. FSU I'm going to post some before and after pics of the drop and before and after with the new tires.Thanx again!!

·
Medium-size Truckin
4,783 Posts
01_zq8_s10 - whatsup man i like your truck, i think you should get a roll pan next! look at the side view pic. you definately need a roll pan, just a suggestion, your truck looks good though. And by the way i have the 2/3 drop on my truck and I havent noticed any rubbing, but i have always been cautious not to go full lock. You will be fine w/ the 2/2. but if you dont haul anything, i would go w/ the 2/3...i couldnt be any happier with it. Just make sure to cut the bump stops off

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
wellhung said:
01_zq8_s10 - whatsup man i like your truck, i think you should get a roll pan next! look at the side view pic. you definately need a roll pan, just a suggestion, your truck looks good though. And by the way i have the 2/3 drop on my truck and I havent noticed any rubbing, but i have always been cautious not to go full lock. You will be fine w/ the 2/2. but if you dont haul anything, i would go w/ the 2/3...i couldnt be any happier with it. Just make sure to cut the bump stops off
Hey thanks man. Actually that pic is almost 2 years old. I've done so much more. Rollpan, ss mirrors and 97 door handles color matched. etc. Here check out my gallery of new pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts