S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a way to rotate these pics 90 degrees Clockwise? I rotated them and others of this vehicle on my laptop, just wondering if there's an easier way than re-upping them...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,598 Posts
Is there a way to rotate these pics 90 degrees Clockwise? I rotated them and others of this vehicle on my laptop, just wondering if there's an easier way than re-upping them...
Are you using a 3rd party, or direct from your laptop?

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use ACDSee for most of my image work.
It has a Tools tab and under it I used rotate #3. I did that after I already posted here. To post them here I just used the image icon, to the left of the camera icon.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,598 Posts
If you're using Windows, I'd try rotating/editing with what ever program it comes with. I'm an Apple geek so I don't know much about windows or applications.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I deleted them & re-uploaded them... but now I see thumbnails I never noticed---they are in the wrong rotation. I guess let it go.

Back to the rearend... we have a 9.5" now? wow, since when? When I ran all the codes, it said:
RPO YD3 31242 P AXLE (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE 890503 P T T A But he told me it had heavy duty locking diff, I don't know where he got that from, it wasn't an RPO...

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
Looks like a 9.5 inch rear to me
That rear end is some sort of a 10 bolt. A 9.5 has a 14 bolt cover and is a lot bigger.
Unless it says G80 on the SPID sticker it's not LSD.
The YD3 RPO has been used more than once in the last 40 years. If you look it up on a chart it says "driver selectable locking differential". That's probably where the seller got the idea it was something special. It was back in the 80's when they used that code for that option.
Today it means "base axle" on the Colorado and Envoy.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are thinking about G81:
G81: AXLE POSITRACTION FULL LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL, ELECTRONIC, DRIVER SELECT
But this vehicle DOES have G80.
G80: AXLE POSITRACTION LIMITED SLIP
Reading it from a table in a catalog looks more like this:
G80 | 9027 | P | AXLE POSITRACTION | LIMITED SLIP | 910326 | E | T | E | A
Those vertical bars in the line above would be column breaks in a table. I forgot what everything after the words LIMITED SLIP mean... I thought the 910326 meant March 26th, 1991.
As for this rearend pictured, I [personally] just have never seen that ribbed case before today.

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
I think it's just the new 10 bolt design. Found this on American Axles site:
GMEnvoy, Canyon, Colorado, Trailblazer, Rainier, Bravada, Astro, S2002 - 20118.0" 10 Bolt - Rear Axle

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting that link, I think I found it when I clicked to show all the covers here:
It's the 4th up from the bottom, an 8.6" 10-bolt; the 5th up looks like the 8.5 Buick GN/ZR2 10-bolt, maybe they increased it to 8-5/8ths like they did to the 7.5 to 7.625". The 4th up says it's an 8.6" that fits 2002-2012 TrailBlazer & Envoy. This looks like the cover:

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
I have a couple ZR2 8.6 rearends and they look completely different. They have a big lug at the bottom of the carrier on each side and the axle tubes decrease in diameter about 2" outside of the carrier. The pictured axle has neither of those features. Also the 8.6 doesn't have the hollowed out area at the bottom of center section like the one in the picture. Pretty sure what's pictured is the 8.0

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have a couple ZR2 8.6 rearends and they look completely different. They have a big lug at the bottom of the carrier on each side and the axle tubes decrease in diameter about 2" outside of the carrier. The pictured axle has neither of those features. Also the 8.6 doesn't have the hollowed out area at the bottom of center section like the one in the picture. Pretty sure what's pictured is the 8.0
What year ZR2's are you saying have 8.6 ring gears?

"They have a big lug at the bottom of the carrier on each side and the axle tubes decrease in diameter about 2" outside of the carrier."

Like this?

"Also the 8.6 doesn't have the hollowed out area at the bottom of center section like the one in the picture. Pretty sure what's pictured is the 8.0"

When you said "...like the one in the picture..." are you referring to the original pics of the Envoy I posted on the blue lift? or the cover I posted... or something else? the brand new replacement cover is 8.6 envoy & trailblazer only, according to the listing on American Axle's page. It's definitely the cover on the Envoy on the blue lift.

This cover below is the other 8.6, listed as fullsize vehicles:
Sierra, Yukon, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade. I think the top of the cover is on the right side of the picture.

·
Been there Done it
8,585 Posts
Yes, the axle you have pictured is just like the 98 and 99 8.6 ZR2 axles I have. I don't try to ID an axle by it's cover. I look at the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm sorry, I have never seen this rearend before. It's supposed to be in a 2004 Envoy V8 5.3L...
View attachment 342556
View attachment 342557
That's the standard axle for a 2004 Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, etc.

It won't fit up to an S10, but I do know you ask a bunch of questions around here for the newer Envoys/Trailblazers, so I'm assuming you're asking because of those vehicles not the older S10s/Blazers.

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The axle I posted pics on the lift? I will try to post a pic of my 2002 ZR2 differential... it looks nothing like that. It looks Identical to the '87 Buick GN, the 8.5"... The Monte SS 1983-87 used the 7.5" which grew to 7.625". The ZR2 used the GN posi unit...

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the standard axle for a 2004 Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, etc.

It won't fit up to an S10, but I do know you ask a bunch of questions around here for the newer Envoys/Trailblazers, so I'm assuming you're asking because of those vehicles not the older S10s/Blazers.
Correct on all points! Back in the '70's, '80's, '90's, I was motorhead like many here--I owned Bowtie Supply in Buffalo NY. We were a combo speed shop and restoration parts store. We sold both new & used parts for most classic GM musclecars & ponycars. We sold genuine GM parts cheaper than GM dealers did, likewise w/restoration aftermarket parts, weatherstripping, underhood decals, emblems, molded carpet sets, crate engines, seat covers, door panels, etc. We were like Year One or Classic Camaro Parts, just much cheaper prices. I even built performance engines right there.

I used to fly out to AZ and stay a week at a friend's house & he'd drive me around looking for rust-free cars. I bought/brought many Chevy musclecars and classics back. It was like Count Kustoms! No S10's, they were just a few years old back then, but many Super Sports ('63 Black on black Impala 327 SS, '70 Monte Carlo SS454 really loaded--even had Lamp Monitor system! '69 El Camino SS396, '78 El Camino SS 350 maroon w/cloth buckets/console, (El Caminos with buckets & consoles were quite rare, they only sat 2 people, most had bench seats to seat 3), other Big Blocks like '70 Monte Carlo Big Block 400, '72 Flame Orange Monte Carlo 402 w/black cloth power buckets/console, '69 Impala 427 red Convertible, '84 GMC 454 Duallie, etc.) Also many C/K trucks & Blazers-- '72 K5 Blazer roadster (removable tops were NOT standard on Blazers, only roadster! blew the motor and smashed the quarter into a guardrail in Table Mesa AZ and built a 383 with aluminum heads for it. Got a rust-free quarter the next trip, had a friend install it and another friend paint the entire truck in lacquer and I spent a week wet sanding it.) '79 Scottsdale Stepside 4x4, '72 Custom Deluxe, '78? C20 converted to Dual wheels, '80 Custom Deluxe longbed 4x4, etc. Other El Caminos: '66 327 El Camino (CA car), '80? '82? 267 V8 El Camino (AZ car.)

I lost a body part in an accident and had complications and couldn't walk for almost a year and lost EVERYTHING around the turn of the century.

I am considering buying an Envoy XUV (converts to cargo truck, like Avalanche, then back to SUV) instead of rebuilding the transmission in my rusty '02 ZR2 X-Cab that has new General ATX 31-10.5's and new coated/drilled/slotted rotors & coated calipers... it's my only vehicle right now (that's driveable, but 2nd-3rd gear Flareup/slip...) I still have the '84 SS w/polished & Cheater-plumbed Lingenfelter SuperRam but rats got into the interior and the 383 blew an intake gasket in 2000... Maybe if I buy the Envoy I'll rebuild the 4L60E in the ZR2 and sell it. Or sell it like it is.

That's my true story...

·
Bowtie Supply, RIP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a pic of my 2002 ZR2 differential... it looks nothing like that. It looks Identical to the '87 Buick GN, the 8.5"...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts