Votes: 83 35.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 537 Posts

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,510 Posts
how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? there are some things we will never know. for me it is a belief and faith that there is something greater than myself.

i just asked my mom cause shes been going to church lately and she had no response...:haha:

·
CuStOmIzEd?
519 Posts
anyways. if there really is a god, who created him then????:cool:
Christianity answers the question of who created God in the very first verse of the very first book, Genesis:
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)
This verse tells us that God was acting before time when He created the universe. Many other verses from the New Testament tells us that God was acting before time began, and so, He created time, along with the other dimensions of our universe.
God has no need to have been created, since He exists either outside time (where cause and effect do not operate) or within multiple dimensions of time (such that there is no beginning of God's plane of time). Hence God is eternal, having never been created. Although it is possible that the universe itself is eternal, eliminating the need for its creation, observational evidence contradicts this hypothesis, since the universe began to exist a finite ~13.7 billion years ago. The only possible escape for the atheist is the invention of a kind of super universe, which can never be confirmed experimentally (hence it is metaphysical in nature, and not scientific).

Mini, i'm not a super religious person or anything, but i do believe in god...i'm simply trying to answer your question the way christians see it...and i believe everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want...i'm a christian and my wife is agnostic. we get along just fine:p (most of the time)

·
Registered
141 Posts
anyways. if there really is a god, who created him then????:cool:
No one did. He has always been there. Humans use time so we can cope with existence better and not go crazy. To try to figure out the true origin of God a human would go insane. It's outside the comprehension of the human mind.

And by the way, it's God not god. There is a difference.

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes it does. Do you have a college education? Have you ever taken a religions or humanities class? Ever read a book dealing with God/gods or the bible?(Don't take this offensively)

The G letter being capitalized or not has great significance to the word and to what you are referencing.

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts
In order - some, no, and no, I don't enjoy fairy tales.

"The G letter being capitalized or not has great significance to the word and to what you are referencing."

If I'm not a believer, not to me it doesn't; the 'one true god vs false gods' argument doesn't hold. In the same way, I would not capitalize Him or His. If it's at the beginning of a sentence, sure.

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,510 Posts
boo hoo i didnt capitalize it.:rolleyes:

and canada...that didnt say who created him it just says what HE created and goes on about the universe...that is the biggest thing i cant understand...people go around worshipping this "God" but have no clue were he came from...also answer me this. how come we can have a bible thats been passed down for 10000's of years, yet we cant remember simple facts in time from the past 100 years.:cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
In order - some, no, and no, I don't enjoy fairy tales.

"The G letter being capitalized or not has great significance to the word and to what you are referencing."

If I'm not a believer, not to me it doesn't; the 'one true god vs false gods' argument doesn't hold. In the same way, I would not capitalize Him or His. If it's at the beginning of a sentence, sure.
It has nothing to do with whether you are a believer or not. It has to deal with the correct uses of the words.

Kind of like there/they're, where/were/we're, too/to/two. There is an actual difference between God/god/gods.

If you try to have an intellectual conversation with someone over religion(any religion not just Christianity) and don't know the correct uses the person is going to think you are uneducated and talk to you like you are and most likely the whole conversation will be overlooked due to this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
boo hoo i didnt capitalize it.:rolleyes:

and canada...that didnt say who created him it just says what HE created and goes on about the universe...that is the biggest thing i cant understand...people go around worshipping this "God" but have no clue were he came from...also answer me this. how come we can have a bible thats been passed down for 10000's of years, yet we cant remember simple facts in time from the past 100 years.:cool:
I answered your question I guess you were too distraught over my statement of the correct use of the word to see this.

And as for your other question even though it wasn't meant for me there's a bit of a difference of God and the bible vs "simple facts" having to deal with the importance of remembering them, documenting them and passing that information on.

That's why.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
YES
God is the reason for my existance!
When you remove God from your life you are not living!
If you are married and in-love you have God in your life,since God is love.

The cool part is God the master creator has allowed us to make our own choices in life what can we do for him?

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts
It has nothing to do with whether you are a believer or not. It has to deal with the correct uses of the words.

Kind of like there/they're, where/were/we're, too/to/two. There is an actual difference between God/god/gods.

If you try to have an intellectual conversation with someone over religion(any religion not just Christianity) and don't know the correct uses the person is going to think you are uneducated and talk to you like you are and most likely the whole conversation will be overlooked due to this.
In the context of the original statement you quoted, "a god" is perfectly acceptable (the statement is not specifying a god of specific religion). If he had not used the "a" in front, then it should be capitalized. It doesn't matter if it were capitalized or not, the statement makes sense whether he is referring to any god or a specific one.

I know the difference between them, hence my statement. If I were a believer, I most likely would have put "a God" instead of "a god".

If you want to get completely technical, "Bible" should have been capitalized in the complete original quote since it refers to a holy text...

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the context of the original statement, "a god" is perfectly acceptable (the statement is not specifying a god of specific religion). If he had not used the "a" in front, then it should be capitalized. I know the difference between them, hence my statement. In that context, it wouldn't matter if it were capitalized or not, the statement makes sense whether he is referring to any god or a specific one.
:stickpoke:checkit:

Do you believe in God? I searched for a poll/thread but didnt find anything.

Im curious to see how many people do or dont believe in God. Ive been talking about this with people for a while now trying to understand everyones views.

As for me, no, I do not believe in God.
;)

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts
When you remove God from your life you are not living!
Really? I'm pretty sure I was alive, last time I checked....

·
is a fungineer
6,109 Posts
I added "you quoted" to that, since my post was ambiguous to the "original statement" I was referring to.

This one:
anyways. if there really is a god, who created him then????
No one did. He has always been there. Humans use time so we can cope with existence better and not go crazy. To try to figure out the true origin of God a human would go insane. It's outside the comprehension of the human mind.

And by the way, it's God not god. There is a difference.
Seems to me like we're in a circulr argument, you were commenting on his whole post and I was referring to the line of his which you quoted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know the difference between them, hence my statement. If I were a believer, I most likely would have put "a God" instead of "a god".

If you want to get completely technical, "Bible" should have been capitalized in the complete original quote since it refers to a holy text...
You're not getting it. God is used in reference to God in the Bible. Not "A" god. to say "a God" is incorrect. The word god/gods has to deal with other beings not the one that is in the bible, whether it has an a in front of it or not.

And yes Bible is to be capitalized.

If you write to someone "Hey tell me what's up with this god thing" they aren't going to have any clue what god you're referencing.

If you asked them "Hey tell me what's up with this God thing" then they would know specifically what you are talking about.

God is a name/person/being. god is a title.

God = being in the Bible
god = anything you put above yourself. IE tv, your car/truck, money, Zeus, etc.

See how Zeus is capitalized? Cause that's his name. You wouldn't say "I spell it zeus cause I don't believe in him" and you wouldn't say "a zues".

I know this is kind of hard to explain over text.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I added "you quoted" to that, since my post was ambiguous to the "original statement" I was referring to.

This one:

Seems to me like we're in a circulr argument, you were commenting on his whole post and I was referring to the line of his which you quoted.
I thought you were referring to the original statement and the first one that I quoted. Not the one where he asked "if there really is a god". That was my misunderstanding. I ASSumed he was asking "if there really is God, ..."

My apologies.

·
Out dubbin' bbl
1,089 Posts
umm no.

21 - 40 of 537 Posts
About this Discussion
536 Replies
76 Participants
31794ty
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing