S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
layin body!
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this has been pondering me in my head. iv heard of other guys takin the coolant lines out from the tranny... the lines go from the rad to the tranny and since i am not towin anything or racing it do i really need them.. i heard u could just plug em off or loop the lines into each other on the tranny to by pass it going into the rad.. thats 2 less lines in my engine bay that makes it look all the more better .....or i could get a aftermaket tranny cooler but id like to see if i dont even need coolent... so i dont HAVE to buy something i dont really need.. let me know what u guys know.

·
Registered
591 Posts
its probibly best just to leave them alone. they will prolong the life of your trany.

·
Registered
568 Posts
yes you need the cooling lines and even with a exatra cooler you still need to run lines to the rad. with a pluged line your tranny will overheat in a matter of minutes and #1 blow fluid out the vent tude a #2 weld your clutches togther.

if your worryed about looks go to bowler transmission and get the stianless braided lines or run some good rubber tranny lines through the frame rails.

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
s1043 said:
.....or i could get a aftermaket tranny cooler but id like to see if i dont even need coolent... so i dont HAVE to buy something i dont really need.. let me know what u guys know.[/COLOR]
First of all thats a gross color, why would you do that.

Second, it is not coolant flowing through those cooler lines, its atf. Its a good thing to keep the temperatures at an optimum running condition. Too hot, and well here is a chart you can look at.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_life_expectancy.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't do it! On the other hand fwiw,I ran my 85 full size truck for 2 years with just a trans cooler with no problems.As long as you have the trans cooler in a spot to get adequate ventilation it should work.But it sometimes takes a little while longer in the winter for the trans to heat up

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
If you paint or maybe tape the cooler lines in a horrid green color it would look not bad

·
layin body!
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hows this guys u like this color better... ya i am bein a smart ass now as to what color i will use.. but sounds good i will just paint the lines the same color as my engine which is black... and thanks for the info....

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
Or you could just clean the grunge off them and take some mothers to them awful to get that shine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
s1043 said:
dont want rubber lines

hum. so you going to try to paint aluminum lines??? this means you have to pull the lines out right....
have you ever tryed to pull the lines off an s-10 without a lift?

·
AVTekk is my HERO
1,232 Posts
I'm just curious you think your gonna clean up the clutter by removing tranny lines? just leave them on there and thats all you gotta do, I dont see why you would want to remove them like others say it prolongs the life of the tranny to keep them in

·
Registered
695 Posts
It more than prolongs the life. Your tranny wont last 10 minutes after reacing operating temperature without it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So your saying your running an aftermarket cooler then? Thats fine just make sure its big enough and you mount it so air flows through it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm getting on your case I just trying to tell you some things are there for a very good reason. I don't thinck your understanding what removeing your cooling is going to cost you. with labor Your looking at close to 2grand to replase a tranny because once you overheat a tranny 70% of the time they can't be rebuilt because it causes the case to spiderweb or mars up the machined surfaces inside the case.

as for helper or aftermarket extra coolers they are not standalone coolers for everyday drivers. These are very misunderstood because even with an aftermarket cooler you still need you rad if you plan on running it longer than 10mins unless it is for standalone applications. standalone coolers are about half the size of you rad, useally multicore and have a cooling fan attached. they also cost twice as much as the rad and are not recomended for steet vehicles because they don't cool that well in traffic.

·
layin body!
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
bvr775 said:
I'm getting on your case I just trying to tell you some things are there for a very good reason. I don't thinck your understanding what removeing your cooling is going to cost you. with labor Your looking at close to 2grand to replase a tranny because once you overheat a tranny 70% of the time they can't be rebuilt because it causes the case to spiderweb or mars up the machined surfaces inside the case.

as for helper or aftermarket extra coolers they are not standalone coolers for everyday drivers. These are very misunderstood because even with an aftermarket cooler you still need you rad if you plan on running it longer than 10mins unless it is for standalone applications. standalone coolers are about half the size of you rad, useally multicore and have a cooling fan attached. they also cost twice as much as the rad and are not recomended for steet vehicles because they don't cool that well in traffic.

no i AM keepin the tranny coolant lines.. no aftermaket cooler i am using the same setup as stock but what i am deletin is the oil cooler lines from the engine to the rad.. u dont need them gm puts them in for towing well iam not towin anything but a 5link and a oasis some batteries and a 12gallon.. which the oil cooler lines do not have anything to do with the tranny.. sorry if i mis lead ya on that but thanks for the info anyway bro....

but anyway quick question what would the use of a standalone cooler do anyway? like when would u use one if they are not for everyday drivers...???

·
layin body!
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bvr775 said:
hum. so you going to try to paint aluminum lines??? this means you have to pull the lines out right....
have you ever tryed to pull the lines off an s-10 without a lift?

my engine and tranny are out and completly not attached iam bodydropin the truck... inorder to do that u need to remove basically eveything....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts