S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ap0lio
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my lights flicker like a mofo when i turn my subs up... any ideas?... do i need a capacitor?

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
A cap will solve a bit of yer problem,, but you should get a larger alt, and larger amp battery first!
Caps are not the solution, they only help you when the bass hits hard and needs extra power for that second.

·
SPL Competitor
227 Posts
I added a 25 farad competition cap for $249 and haven't seen any dimming of the lights. I'm not done though, I have a new Optima battery coming in a couple days and trying to save some $$ for a new 225 amp alt.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
MassBlazer01960 said:
I added a 25 farad competition cap for $249 and haven't seen any dimming of the lights. I'm not done though, I have a new Optima battery coming in a couple days and trying to save some $$ for a new 225 amp alt.
25 farad caps are not competition caps by any means, especially if you're competing in spl comps. the ESR is so ridiculous on those caps that it defeats the entire purpose of a capacitor

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
MeltingPlastic said:
:stupid: just charging that damn thing any time anything hits draws more than ur system..
Where would this excess current be going then?

·
SPL Competitor
227 Posts
It's might not be the best thing for use in an SPL comp, but thats the series that it's from, Rockford's competition series. The majority of the people I've seen at the SPL comps don't use any cap, they use a bank of extra batteries. The 25 farad cap is great if your driving with your system pounding, but with the competitions hitting high SPL you need a ton of juice at once it would be pointless to bother with just a cap. When I first designed my system it was more for show and great sound, now I'm planning to try competing a couple times with what I have and see how I do and what needs to be improved. I've had the bass pound while I drive and the voltage hasn't dropped more than a tenth of a volt, so for street driving it's great.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Caps should ONLY be added after the big 3, battery and alternator have already been upgraded, in that order. And if you are adding a cap to stop headlight dimming, you are adding one for the wrong reason.

·
Ap0lio
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i dont mean to make an ass out of myself but what ezactly is a big 3 ???? im so lost... also whats a good alt and how much am i looking at spending?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts