S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a Chevy 350 in my S-10, I've bought a Holley 4160/ 80457 600cfm carb. I won't be running any emissions, and the truck will be a daily driver.

The carbs not here yet, but I'm wondering if this carb a bad choice. I've been told that it's an "emissions" carb, and that I won't be able to use it on an engine without emissions equipment -- is this so?

Anybody know anything about this carb, and how suitable it is for my intended use?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should be able to use it. My carb is emissions legal, but i have no emission stuff hooked up to it. Its is also a holley 600.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
The best Holley carbs are double pumpers and they dont work so well on street drivers. I went from an 1850(600 cfm vac. secondary) to a 600 cfm Edelbrock and picked up .4 sec. and 3 mph in the 1/4 mi. Also good are Carter carbs (they're the same as the Edelbrock)

·
2006 PBM GTO
523 Posts
I like the Edlebrocks as well, but a well tuned Holley (double-pumper or otherwise) will run equally as well as the Carter/Edlebrock. You just won't get as good of gas mileage, especially with a double-pumper.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
To be able to properly tune the 8007 holley you need to have different metering blocks for the secondaries or convert to jets. The cost is around $150, not worth it in my opinion. Besides the Edelbrock is much easier to tune. I got my performer intake and carb at a swapmeet for $160.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts