S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
umm...
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What dist. and anything else should i do for igniton system on my truck? i am droppin in the 350 from an 88 iroc.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Small style cap, exterior coil, simple HEI. Adjustable vacuum advance. Carb that actually knows how to handle vacuum advance. Manifold that works with carb. If carb is Holley get a holley manifold. If edelbrock, then stick with both parts the same. Be sure to think seriously about the way the transmission works with the carb if this is an automatic. A 700R4?

How built will the V8 be?

·
umm...
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The V8 is completly stock nothing new but rings and bearings. I already have edelbrock intake and holley carb. I plan on hitting up overdrive.com to buy the TV and TCC stuff for my 700r4.

·
dark side member
901 Posts
If you want to go with an hei with internal coil the msd 8362 street fire distributor is the best deal around. They retail for under $150 canadian and are absolutly brand new. Drop it in, maybe change the curve and you are ready to go. Or you could find an old "large" cap hei and replace the coil, module, cap, and rotor but that will probably be about the same coin as the new dist. If you go with a dist like blazing said, "small" cap exterior coil and so on, it will be expensive if you buy new. If you rebuild an old one it will still cost the same as the new "large" cap hei that i mentioned earlier. You wont need an ignition box if the engine is staying stock, or even mildly modified. As far as intake and carb, looks like you are on the right track, so long as the carb isnt overly large. As long as you are a fairly decent tuner when it comes to timing and fuel curve you wont have any troubles.

Hope this helps.

bbcc

·
2LO4BC
2,859 Posts
I really like the Mallory 85 series HEI units
im running a carbed 350 with an edelbrock 600cfm carb with the mallory hei with vacuum advance. Noticed alot smoother idle and quicker throttle responce with this dist. over the stocker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts