S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Crew Cab S10 4.3L. The other day I heard what sounded like a belt noise comming from the Distributor but it comes and goes. Some of my friends tell me that I need to replace the distributor. Others tell me just to change the Cap and Rotor. I just bought a new cap and rotor and I am going to install it. I figure if i need to replace the distributor the new one might not come with a new cap and rotor. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried the Search before posting this but didn't find what I was looking for.

·
2,679 Posts
I'd pull the cap and make sure that the cap or rotor didn't chip before I drove it any futher.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just put the new cap and Rotor on. So far no noise. The old one looked bad but nothing more then normal ware that would be expected. I have heard of the bearing going on the distributor, but shouldn't that make a noise all the time? How hard is it to pull the Distributor? I have read how to do it but no one says if they pulled the engine out, or tilted the engine by pulling a trans mount then raising the back end of the trans. It doesn't seem like there is enough room to pull it out. Or I am just over thinking the size of it.

·
2,679 Posts
If the noise is gone then don't worry so much. Cap mount could have cracked or worked itself loose???

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Well I just put the new cap and Rotor on. So far no noise. The old one looked bad but nothing more then normal ware that would be expected. I have heard of the bearing going on the distributor, but shouldn't that make a noise all the time? How hard is it to pull the Distributor? I have read how to do it but no one says if they pulled the engine out, or tilted the engine by pulling a trans mount then raising the back end of the trans. It doesn't seem like there is enough room to pull it out. Or I am just over thinking the size of it.
If it was the bearing, then it should make the noise all of the time.

It comes out without any drastic measures, like removing the motor or jacking the tranny.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I kinda thought it was ,but just wanted to make sure beforew I called it that thinking one thing and it was something total different . LOL. You know how my luck is lately ..lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the noise came back. I noticed that if you pull the distirbutor one way the noise stops. I checked the cap and rotor to make sure I installed them right. I have, but I now know it is the Distributor. With the rotor off there is play in the distirbutor shaft. So i think the bearing are gone. Has anyone put on an after market distirbutor like a MSD, Accel, or anyother kind like that. I just want to know if there is any big modding i have to do to install them.

·
2,679 Posts
Make sure that you mark the rotor possition before pulling the dizzy and don't turn the engine again until it is reinstalled.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
If you get MSD or ACCEL you might be stuck buying their expensive caps & rotors in the future. The ones that I have seen use the vertical wire towers instead of the pancake stock design so you will have to replace your wires too. United makes an all aluminum dizzy that uses the stock pancake cap and rotor. However, they sometimes get the gear on wrong as talked about in this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts