S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 2.2L

My oil dipsitck got stuck to the point where the filler cap broke off as I was trying to get it out. I got the rest of it out with vice grips and ordered a new dipstick, but when I put that one it was the same thing.

Anyone had a problem with this before? I assume it has to do with the crook at the end of the stick but I don't really know what it looks like down in the tube. It came up maybe an inch or so before meeting resistance.

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
When you describe the "crook at the of the stick", are you referring to the serpentine bends of the stick a short distance up from the very tip of the dipstick, or the small loop at the very end of the dipstick? Is there any chance you can post a picture of what you are dealing with? With some dipsticks, its orientation (relative to the tube) is important when removing and/or inserting to avoid binding (particularly for non linear tubes). I'm not intimately familiar with the 2.2L engine, so I may be off, and other members can chip in their 2 cent worth. Attached is a photo of the OEM assembly - is yours the same?
Font Metal Nickel Titanium Fashion accessory

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This actually happened a little while back and I already threw away the old one, so I can't post a pic. I had assumed it has to do with the bend a couple inches up from the tip, but I don't really have anything to base that on.

I should add that I went four years or so before the original dipstick had this issue, so I thought maybe it had been bent somehow and a new one would work like normal, but that wasn't the case. I'm wondering if the angle of the tube could have changed slightly or something like that, and could that be enough to muck it up.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Toroloco, be sure you do NOT toss out any of the pieces until after you have identified a replacement. More importantly, be very careful so the piece still inside the tube doesn't slip further down into the tube and get's out of reach. My suggestion is to not put the dipstick back into the tube unless you have firmly attached a wire or something to enable you to removed it. Also, just don't put the dipstick in and only use the cap to seal the crankcase from dust and debris until you have a replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toroloco, be sure you do NOT toss out any of the pieces until after you have identified a replacement. More importantly, be very careful so the piece still inside the tube doesn't slip further down into the tube and get's out of reach. My suggestion is to not put the dipstick back into the tube unless you have firmly attached a wire or something to enable you to removed it. Also, just don't put the dipstick in and only use the cap to seal the crankcase from dust and debris until you have a replacement.
Yeah, I assumed the new one would work so I tossed the old. Now it's just the cap with no stick attached on there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I replaced my 2002 2.2L exhaust manifold 2 or 3 years ago, AFAIK, new tubes, GM or aftermarket, were NLA from any source. Maybe my search was flawed or the condition has changed. So, be careful with the tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts