S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1988 700R-4 has a mechanical cable, but I'd like to go to a digital speedometer. Any (practical) way to do this? I've heard there is a kit to convert to a electronic sensor, ao you can use a digital speedo, but I can't locate it.

Better yet, is there a digital speedo that takes a mechanical cable and converts it to a digital readout?

Any help appreciated!

Terry

·
2006 PBM GTO
523 Posts
get a VSS and reluctor ring and wiring off of a salvage vehicle that came with a digital dash. I have not seen a digital speedo that uses a cable drive, although I am sure that some aftermarket company makes one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
keep in mind your ecm needs the VSS input, it gets that from the back of your current speedo (bolts on in the back, has three wires that run to a small box hanging by the fuse block, the small box is your VSS buffer)... if you have cruise, the cruise uses this for its signal also. If you go to the GM VSS, that goes into the tranny you will need a DRAC, which converts the signal to what the ECM can read. The DRAC also sends the signal to the digital dash and Cruise.

There are a million options, you need to pick a path and specify it to us, we could sit here and tell you every possible option but no one wants to do that.

·
i wanna go fast
656 Posts
Autometer makes something that will work, I have been thinking of getting it. It is a hall effect sender, part # 5291. It goes on the trans where the cable would screw onto the speedo gear. It takes the spinning gear and turns it into an electic signal. Then you run wires to an electric speedometer. $63 from Jegs or Summit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
jtr makes them too...... ford makes them also for factory use and they fit on the gm cables....gm made them however they are a little more complicated to put on....like i said.....there is a ton of options here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts