S-10 Forum banner

digital dash install in an 87 HELP

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oldeerslayer 
#1 ·
So I bought a digital dash from I believe either an 88 or and 89. I know that by this point in time GM switched to a digital signal instead of a cable. I was hoping that someone figured out how to add a digital signal in place of the cable so that the cluster has something to display.

Does the digital sending unit screw in place of the cable?

Does it run through the ECU at all?

Are parts available?

If a thread for this already exists please point me in the right direction, thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
JTR has a VSS that goes between the cable and transmission that produces the electronic speed signal your speedo needs.
You have to add a DRAC to correct the output for your gear ratio and tire size. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to figure out which DRAC works with which final ratio. They are coded on the outside with a label, but GM has never offered the info as to which code works with which ratios.
The cure is a DRAC with dip switches where GM had put jumper wires to turn a circuit on or off.

I've attached a 89 digital cluster wiring diagram to help you. Hopefully you got the connector and pigtail with the "digital" cluster. It's actually an analog cluster with digital display.

Font Parallel Number Rectangle Pattern

You won't need the brown/white ABS wire in your 87.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.