S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would someone explain to me what is the difference between the following. just curious.

1. limited slip diff
2. locking diff
3. posi traction

i know i have the locking diff, it says so in my window sticker, what is the advantages of the locking diff?

:D :D :D

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
Limited slip and posi traction is the same thing. Posi traction is just the name GM used to use. The "locking diff" that is in ur truck is really just a limited slip diff. A true locker will put full power to both wheels when on the gas, unlike the limited slip which just transfers the power from the wheel that looses traction. Makes a nice one wheel burnout though;)

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so youre saying my locking diff is kinda like a limited slip which is the same as a positraction. :confused: :confused: :confused: sorry man but, i'm even more confused.

heres what i know, correct me if i'm wrong:

locking diff- step on gas, both wheel spin, two tire marks.
limited slip-step on gas,one wheel spin, one tire mark.

is that right? i've done burnout with my truck, and it made two tire marks. so do i have the real locking diff?

sorry to bug you guys, i'm just confused.

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
The "locking diff" GM uses is a type of limited slip. I believe the only company that has a true locking diff, would be the electric locker in the toyota tacoma. I do believe the GM "locking diff" is alot better than other limited slip diffs, in the fact that it can act like a locker at times for example, taking off in a straight line, but be like the limited slip while in a turn, letting each tire rotate at a different speed. Thats the way I understand it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
here's the tech of it.

limited slip- a clutch pack (series of 10-16 metal discs) is installed in the diff between axle shafts. if differential power is applied (one wheel slips), the clutch pack discs heat up, expand, and lock together, so both tires turn at same rate, diff is "locked".

a real locker on the other hand, is a set of gears, which slip together if the wheels turn at different rates, solid locking the rear end.

as far as drivability, LS is the way to go, lockers click in and out, are very annoying.

later

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
you could always go with a spool..

thatd make a locker seem real nice to drive

·
Registered
66 Posts
indeed, or, for a cheaper, far more redneck, fix than that, break out the arc welder and "modify" the spider gears. it's a free, 10 min. spool. tire wear might pose a problem, though....

·
538 Posts
woo-hoo! lincoln locker

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
LoL, Are you saying theres something wrong with the redneck fix:p :p :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
not at all, it's the only way to go

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just a little more clarification here. A limited slip and posi trac can be called the same thing. They will both apply power to both wheels if you stand on the gas. I used to have an Auburn limited slip and 4.10's in my S10 and it worked well. I now have a Ford 9" with what Ford calls a Traction lock. Just another fancy name for limited slip. Bottom line is: if you get a limited slip, locker, or posi track, you are going to have equal power to both tires when under power providing the unit is working correctly.

The only carrier that will get you a one wheel burnout is called an OPEN carrier. That means it will only apply power to one tire at a time and is a real pain in the ass in the winter when you have one tire on dry pavement and the other on a patch of ice.

Hope this isn't just more mud in the water for you.

·
538 Posts
proflo'dS10 said:
Bottom line is: if you get a limited slip, locker, or posi track, you are going to have equal power to both tires when under power providing the unit is working correctly.

The only carrier that will get you a one wheel burnout is called an OPEN carrier. That means it will only apply power to one tire at a time and is a real pain in the ass in the winter when you have one tire on dry pavement and the other on a patch of ice.
well, actually a locker manually locks the axles together, whereas a LS uses a clutch pack to equalize the power, if you stand on it, you will just kill your ls. Technically you could get a 1 wheel burnout with a locker too, due to driveline windup.

As for driving in snow&ice, i would reccomend either a ls or a manually engaged locker. an auto locker is asking for trouble, because as conditions change, it will lock, and unlock, causeing whats known as "locker sway"

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
I think I'm gonna get me a Miller locker:D

·
Laid.
451 Posts
How easy is it to ruin the mechanism in the 01 4.3 s-10 lockers??? They have the clutch packs in em right?

·
Redneck Off-Road
1,047 Posts
When you weld the gears together you aren't making a posi rear end. Your making the equvilent of a spool:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
UUUUMMMMMM.......

DON'T weld your spider gears together. When they F-ck up, it will cost more than just buying a posi in the first place....Not to mention it is a hair on the not-so-safe side....The only guys that do that anymore hump their sister, and call their father uncle dad.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
if it will make both wheels turn over when i hit the gas its fine with me and if it breaks on down the road i will just get the zexel now how u go about weldin it and where at?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts