S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the orig rear in my 86 S-10 for some reason is tweeked. if you stand behind the truck the camber is neg which causes way pre mature wear on the tires. it has a 2.5 so i know it wasnt the hp that did it.

my ques is, how much difference is there in drum housing between my 86 and a 92-93 rear? i have access to a rear and being its a 2 series i'll have to buy a set of the 3 series gears made for a 2 series carrier. this rear is limited slip which would be a plus being my orig rear is a peg leg.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
i dont understand exactly which distance you are referring to but the only difference there would be is between 4x2 and 4x4

the latter are a couple inches wider overall, than the former

otherwise all same all years

have fun

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
How the hell do you get negative camber on a solid axle rearend setup?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How the hell do you get negative camber on a solid axle rearend setup?
im wondering the same thing but sure nuff, the top of both tires are leaning in to the truck and causing the inside of the tires to wear faster than the outer but the whole tire is wearing WAAAAAAY faster than the front.

since i bought the truck i bought a complete set of tires and since have replaced the rears and going on a 3rd set but still running the fronts.

all i can think of is someone tied to the rear and snatched it out of where it was or it was improperly strapped down.

the rear im looking at has a ribbed ring between the brake area and the axle end.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
that ring you are talking about is an abs ring.

If you have that much of an issue than it must be noisey. being slightly bent will cause the bearing/axles to run out of sync and make noise and eventually cause failure of the axle.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about the axles? are they the same spline count as my 86? i know on the later year F cars GM went from a 26 to a 28 or something spline count.

i may just swap the carrier and pinion over to the newer rear but it sure would be nice to have limited slip being mine is peg leg. might have to start poking round the yards for a good 3 series carrier.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have that much of an issue than it must be noisey. being slightly bent will cause the bearing/axles to run out of sync and make noise and eventually cause failure of the axle.

went and got tires yesterday and sure nuff i have an axle seal leaking on the dr side. the rear isnt noisey but then again its a base base base model truck which translates to "tin can". i'll say its sounds no diff than norm but i agree being its tweeked like this will put parts in a manner they werent intended to rotate at.

my tire guy pointed it out along with the front end (planning to get this gone thru in the next few weeks) when i get done with the front end and the axle my truck will be fully molested. the front end is all orig from day one and im suprised its not worse than it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts