S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, this is my first post here. I've done extensive research, and am still unable to find the specific information that I need. Thanks in advance for the help.

I bought a 2000 S10 4WD pickup, with a blown L35 (VIN W) SCPI motor. I've decided to swap in a rebuilt long block. My research tells me that I should be looking for a metric block (#14099090M) with cylinder heads that have a casting number of #12557113 (although, I'm open to being corrected). I'm seeing metric long blocks offered with a variety of cylinder head casting numbers (e.g. 113, 772, 107, 140, 114).

1) Does anyone have a resource where I can confirm the casting numbers I've listed as being correct for the application?
2) Does anyone have a resource that shows the differences between the 4.3L 262 cylinder heads based on casting number?

·
Been there Done it
9,530 Posts
From 1996 thru 2005 on the s-series vehicles although they may have have used different casting numbers for the heads they are nearly identical and completely interchangeable. If there are any minor differences, I for one am not aware of what those minor variations are. When looking at replacement heads I have seen more than one casting number a particular head will replace. Never heard of any valve or combustion chamber size differences. They all use the same intake and exhaust manifolds.
As far as the metric block goes, they aren't any different than the sae blocks except for the size of the bolt holes for the bellhousing and IIRC starter bolts. They can be interchanged by simply using the correct bolts for the block. It's only 8 bolts. Bellhousing bolts are either 3/8" (9.525mm) diameter x 16 threads (coarse) per inch - or 10mm (.394") diameter x 1.5 threads per mm.

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks oldeerslayer. We ended up replacing the short block, and re-using the existing heads.

In hindsight, we probably should have replaced the long block. After installation, we discovered a cracked rocker perch that was causing an engine miss. It took us quite a while to find it. And, a trip to the boneyard to find a replacement.

·
Registered
863 Posts
From 1996 thru 2005 on the s-series vehicles although they may have used different casting numbers for the heads they are nearly identical and completely interchangeable. If there are any minor differences, I for one am not aware of what those minor variations are.
I've seen two variants. One of them has the rockers on bearings (needles I think) and the other sits the stamped rockers on ball stud posts. Valves and springs interchange between the two but the rocker assembly does not. I couldn't see any difference in the port design. If I had a choice, I'd use the bearings, but they should perform identically in a daily.

·
Registered
S10 4x4, S Blazer
6 Posts
So long as true vortec style meaning 96' and later will work the diff between casting #'s was the rocker studs. Earliest were adj and later went non adj and the rocker stud threads where they screw into head. And as mentioned above the latest style used a bearing style rocker on bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts