S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new 4.3l vortec for my 97 s10. I have an X series.. Does anyone know if a W series engine is compatible with X series if i was doing an engine swap????

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
302 Posts
I think they are both the same except the W series had higher horsepower. You could always use all your sensors, intake etc on the new engine.

·
Been there Done it
7,075 Posts
There have been numerous long discussions on this subject in the past. No one seems to be able to definitively give any part number differences between the two engines. Some say they think it's the cam, but if you look up a replacement cam both use the same one. I personally think it's simply computer programming.
As far as the HP game goes, it's meaningless. The same vin W 4.3 that is rated at 190 HP in an S10 is rated at 200 HP in a C1500 full sized truck. Some say the exhaust is better in the bigger truck. I think it's all marketing hype.

Bottom line is they have been swapped both ways for years with no known issues after doing so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The difference was indeed only the camshaft. Today they only sell the W series #10241691, but at one time you could also buy the X series #10241692.

I have an X series. The camshaft available today would be an upgrade for me of about 10 hp.

dviles

·
Been there Done it
7,075 Posts
I thought the change in rocker arms was on all 4.3's in 200-01. 2001 up doesn't list the ball and socket rockers as even being available.
There are actually 2 X engines. 2000 and earlier were the -10hp version, but when they introduced the non poppet injectors the W was discontinued and all engines after that in S10s were called X. It is not the same as the earlier version. Just like when the Vortec 4.3 was introduced as the W in 96, the former W CPI was discontinued. Completely different engines in the same vehicle line with the same W vin code.

·
Been there Done it
7,075 Posts
Which was a vin X with trunnion rockers. Not the same as the earlier LF6 X with poppets and ball rockers.
I also believe the "real" injectors started earlier in cars built for The People Republic of California to try to please the Smog Gestapo.

This post does not contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,159 Posts
I’ve swapped those in both directions without any issues.

the VIN W is a quieterrunning engine with almost zero valve train noise. Idk if it’s any more powerful,at lest that I notice. I can definitely hear the difference in the two engines tho. I own multiple of each...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve swapped those in both directions without any issues.

the VIN W is a quieterrunning engine with almost zero valve train noise. Idk if it’s any more powerful,at lest that I notice. I can definitely hear the difference in the two engines tho. I own multiple of each...
I wanted to know which one I have. I believe I have the L35 'X" engine. My VIN dated sometime Jan. of 97. So, my truck may have been built on 96. I'm not completely sure. I'm not sure on power rating. All I can find is I have a 4.3 cast iron 'X' engine with SEFI.

·
Been there Done it
7,075 Posts
L35 was the 96-02 W version. LF6 is the 96-02 X version of the same engine. LU3 is the 02-04 X version of the same engine. Your vin will tell you the year and the engine code. The SPID sticker in the glove box will tell you which RPO code you have.
It really doesn't matter. You got what you got. Drive it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts