S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 2.5 liter for a 305 in my 91 s-10, it runs fine but I think I cut too many wires because now I have no headlights, (I thought they(the wires) ran straight from the lights to the firewall and to the appropriate switches. The lights worked when I had the engine in, then I cut the wires going from the drivers side firewall to the old engine and the wires going to the other side of the firewall. The truck runs great, I have turn signals, brake lights, and hazards, but no headlights or running lights on the rear.

Yes I checked the fuses, is there anything i can do or check before i say f-it and just run the wires to a separate switch?

Actually I don't know how I would even do that because the running lights need to work too. Hmmm...........

Any ideas would be appreciated because the book I have for the truck doesn't even have the right wire colors listed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i'm in the process of swapping my 2.5 witha 350, i've cut a couple wires, and it does look like they run straight to the firewall, make sure u didnt cut the Light Green and the Tan color wires running to the headlights, also make sure they are grounded good. good luck

V.V.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know from experience with other Chevrolets that the light harness is completely separate from the engine harness. I assume the S10 is the same? Anyways, the light harness will all be in the same loom, and go into the same plug. You should be able to just reconnect the wires by matching colors. Next time though, be a little careful when you go and start snipping wires. :)

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Had similar problem with mine - all it needed was a better ground. Electrical problems can be a big PITA.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Lights....

Like four25cid said it is most likely a ground that you undid when removing the wire set up. You usually can't get any of the wires out of place as a unit without removing some of those pesky little fasteners that seem to always be screwed either into the rad support or inner fenders or even bolted to the bellhousing or alternator support - but they all seem to be needed or something will not be grounded and work properly.... Kevin

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry...

Sorry, I meant to quote Rhansen....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lights and another problem

it turns out that not only were the grounds bad for both the lights, i didn't hook up the correct power wires(from alternator to the fuse box, and the lights) One has power all the time the other when the alternator is turning(running). So the lights would only have worked but only when the truck was running.

I have another problem with the truck though, when its idling it makes this scraping vibrating sound like a pipe is banging on something or the flywheel is scraping on something.

Its not the exhaust system or anything I can think of , it seems to be coming from the center of the bellhousing area or at least the middle and bottom of the engine, what could it be?

It goes away when the engine is running at anything above idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts