S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across this newly republished review of a 1996 Sonoma GT on Motortrend, the article originally ran late 1995.

Anyone know the history behind this? Looks like GMC was planning on doing another Sonoma GT and gave Motortrend one for a review. But as far as I know this was never released as a model or even an specific option package. Of course one could order a reg cab stepside with 4.3, 5spd and ZQ8, but it wasn't a specific option package or model offering. Was this something that got cancelled by GMC or did Motortrend simply get things mixed up? I have collected a lot of original s10/sonoma brochures and marketing ads, but this is the first I've heard of it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,288 Posts
Not sure if they followed thru with the GT designation. A Viet Nam vet down the street has one, but not sure if it's a 5 speed. I'm guessing it was a mis-print on the 2 horizontal shocks though.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if they followed thru with the GT designation. A Viet Nam vet down the street has one, but not sure if it's a 5 speed. I'm guessing it was a mis-print on the 2 horizontal shocks though.
When you say your neighbor has one, what makes you or him say that it's one of them? Is there an emblem or graphic on the truck to identify it as special? Some order code on the window sticker?

I'm assuming it was meant to be the GMC counterpart to the SS, but with a manual instead (or at least being an option). In my 20 plus years of driving s10s, this is the first I've read about a 2nd gen GT.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,288 Posts
The GT in the story was the same as the SS with the exception of the 5speed. The one down the street has all of there earmarks of a ZQ8 truck, with the wheels and step side bed. I haven't seen it up close and personal, so I can't say if it had a 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably just a regular Sonoma then, albeit one with the options/configuration that would have made it a GT if such a package had existed. In my experience and years of searching for trucks with this configuration (Sonoma RCSBs with stepside, 4.3/5spd/ZQ8), I can say they are pretty uncommon/rare, but they do exist and can still be found with some hunting.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure you did but we're on the same page nevertheless. When I ask specifically about a 2nd gen Sonoma GT, and you reply that your neighbor has one, I assume you are saying he specifically has a 2nd gen Sonoma GT. Additionally you haven't seen it up close, nor know any additional info that would lead me to believe it was one, so I'm simply assuming it's a regular ZQ8 stepside Sonoma.

Anyways, has anyone else ever heard about this package that appears to have been killed off?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drove one of these during a special GMC touring invitation along with a Syclone. The Sonoma GT as mentioned was like the S10 SS, slightly lower with sport package. Basically, it was like a Syclone minus the turbo charged engine and all-wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove one of these during a special GMC touring invitation along with a Syclone. The Sonoma GT as mentioned was like the S10 SS, slightly lower with sport package. Basically, it was like a Syclone minus the turbo charged engine and all-wheel drive.
Thank you for the info, but just to clarify, are you talking about a 2nd gen Sonoma GT that would have been released late 95 as a 96 model? I ask because you mentioned driving it along with a Syclone which was 1st gen and released in 1991, after which there was also a 1st gen Sonoma GT in 1992 (the looks of the syclone minus the major performance upgrades).

Are you maybe talking about a GMC event from 1991/92 instead? Or was this a driving event in 1995/96 that included old models no longer available?

The SS and Sonoma GT wanna be had the same suspension...it wasn't lower than the SS.
He's saying they were alike, both with the sport suspension package.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my GT new in June 96 its a fleetside but had all the goodies except the dual horizontal shocks mine only had 1 (expensive) I dropped mine another 2 inches and can say it is more like a go cart than a pick-up. It now has a 30 over 4.3 lumpity cam headers no cat and some fine tuning

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought my GT new in June 96 its a fleetside but had all the goodies except the dual horizontal shocks mine only had 1 (expensive) I dropped mine another 2 inches and can say it is more like a go cart than a pick-up. It now has a 30 over 4.3 lumpity cam headers no cat and some fine tuning
Did your truck come with any paperwork (window sticker would be great), emblems, logos, decals or anything that calls it a "GT"?

Also I believe them stating dual horizontal shocks was a mistake on their part, they probably looked under the truck and saw one on the passenger side and assumed there was a second one on the drivers side. I'm not even sure if you could fit one on the drivers side with the gas tank there, charcoal box is around there too though they could easily move that elsewhere

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,288 Posts
How about some pics...maybe a vin we can run to see what it says.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
That's a pretty cool find with the article @blakearonson

With what I know of the GM vehicles of that era I'd bet it was simply the ZQ8 package being offered on a Sonoma and it was initially thought of as the Sonoma GT or the SS equivalent of the era, but ultimately GM decided to offer it as an option without much advertisement.

Motortrend ran with the idea, but doesn't look like they really verified their article haha the dual hop shocks for instance. Although from talking to a GM engineer involved with the hop shock many years ago I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a prototype with a different revision/idea of the hop shock system.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good point Jason, the hopshock was brand new for 96 with the redesigned ZQ8 package so it's highly possible that was a prototype as you suggested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did your truck come with any paperwork (window sticker would be great), emblems, logos, decals or anything that calls it a "GT"?

Also I believe them stating dual horizontal shocks was a mistake on their part, they probably looked under the truck and saw one on the passenger side and assumed there was a second one on the drivers side. I'm not even sure if you could fit one on the drivers side with the gas tank there, charcoal box is around there too though they could easily move that elsewhere
You are correct it only had the horizontal shock on the passenger side supposedly to control wheel hop, I also had Sonoma GT decals on the lower door panels and some funky checkered or strobe stripe around the belt line (that lasted from the dealer to my buddies house and the heat gun) also had ls trim badges above the belt line on the cab (heat gun) and that funky rear bumper roll pan 3 days an the salesman didn't even know me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for the info, but just to clarify, are you talking about a 2nd gen Sonoma GT that would have been released late 95 as a 96 model? I ask because you mentioned driving it along with a Syclone which was 1st gen and released in 1991, after which there was also a 1st gen Sonoma GT in 1992 (the looks of the syclone minus the major performance upgrades).

Are you maybe talking about a GMC event from 1991/92 instead? Or was this a driving event in 1995/96 that included old models no longer available?

He's saying they were alike, both with the sport suspension package.
Yes, it was 1992 right after I bought my 92 S10.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it was 1992 right after I bought my 92 S10.
ok well that's kinda irrelevant then as what you're referring to is the 1st gen Sonoma GT, its existence is not in dispute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts