S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay is there anyway to check my clutch for wear without dropping the tranny? It just feels kinda weird when I shift. It feels harder shift into gear and you can feel the gears meeting through the shifter. I don't have a problem with replacing the clutch, but I'd kinda like to know if I've gotta do it ASAP or if i've got a week or two. It might just be me, I've extremely picky, and my baby's fixin' to hit 80k and she's had a really hard life. But I use it to pull my boat so I should have known something was going to happen.

Thanks for any info you've got.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Put it in 2nd gear at like 20mph and just floor it.....if it revs before accelerating then the clutch is slipping, if it revs a lot and doesnt seem to grab until you let off a bit, the clutch needs to be replaced SOON.

·
Registered
170 Posts
-Try going up a steep hill. If RPM is higher then usual, then clutch is slipping. You can "feel it is slipping." By feel it I mean, You feel you give more gas than usual to go up hill.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked it by doing a 35mph punch, ie going 35 and dropping it into second gear. Yeah, it's not slipping. But what could make it hard to shift lately? It's not leaking, it has plenty of fluid but it just feels like the transmission still has power running through it when you shift through the gears. Could this be a slave cyclinder problem, just not engauging far enough? For my year I know the throwout bearing and slave are one piece, so should I just change the clutch while I've got the tranny out. This is a 4WD so jerking the trans is a pain in the butt. Thanks for all of your help so far...

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I looked through the little hole on the bellhousing with a flashlight and saw that when someone pressed on the clutch pedal the slave cyclinder went all the way in like it's supposed to. any other suggestions???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts