S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is dex-cool required because of the material used for the head gasket/intake gasket?

gonna be changing both and wondering if i can just go with regular anti-freeze...

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
dex-cool is one of the issue with leaking intake gaskets. plus if not taken car of dex-cool will gum up heater cores and radiators.

·
Check your ground
30,848 Posts
Dex-Cool is complete and utter garbage. Flush all that junk out and replace it with Prestone 50/50 aka the green stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dex-cool is the first thing i removed after buyin my blazer. When i took the rad cap off it looked like it was full of red gunk. I just did a flush with water but it still is kind of dirty. I saw on some show maybe trucks that you can use a gallon of vinegar to flush out the gunk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i bought my truck with dexcool in it. it had been changed every 5 years so everything was still ok. i flushed it out when i got it and put dexcool back in. ran for 4 years and then heater core blew. replaced and topped of with dexcool. then 6 months later water pump blew. flushed out the dexcool and went to some kind of stuff thats supposed to work with anything. also says its lifetime. ive been told the dexcool was ok as long as you changed it every 5 years. i dont know but now i'm staying away.

·
Registered
74 Posts
NO DEX-cool!!!

Running Peak (brand) antifreeze in my wifes Jimmy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.