S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to make the devious gas tank work while leaving the stock crossmember in? They give you a thin crossmember to replace the stock one with which the stock one supports my 6 link. The crossmember they give with it is about 2" x 1" which doesn't seem safe or like it would last. Does any one know of a way to make this work? My other options I got are to cut the tank 2 inches shorter so that it doesn't hit the stock crossmember or notch the cab so it can sit farther foreward. Anyone know of a way to make this fit with out cutting a $500 tank?

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
I would call devious and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you its strong enough. If not then maybe you can re-enforce it yourself

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called and Jeff was in the back working but the guy I talked to said it is strong enough but my 6 link is welded to the stock crossmember. I was thinking of nothcing the section of the stock crossmember so the tank would fit and then reinforce it.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
1x2 is plenty strong. I used it on my gas tank crossmember and other people have too. It's not like you're supportin the world with it, just a gas tank :D

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Ohh... hm... I dunno then. How thick is that crossmember they make for their gas tank? If your wishbone connects to it, I'd wanna make sure it's plenty strong like you're talkin about, heh.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is only 1" x 2" which might work for a few years but I want my truck to last. I might just cut 2" off the tank. Spend $500 to have to hack it up. I am not happy.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem is my 6 link is welded to that crossmember so I have no choice. I got a place that will notch out the amount I need and re-weld and then pressure test. I should have just done a custom tank for the stock location but too late.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i cant believe no one has asked this yet but whats the wall on the 1x2 crossmember they gave you. chances are its plenty thick enough to hold that 6 link and tank. just weld it extra good. another option if you can weld is just build your own. either use like 1/4" sheet steel and build one to your specs or find a tubing with 1/4" wall that will work and make one. i wouldnt even think it would have to be 1/4" thats hella thick. ask around tho. dont cut into your $500 gas tank

·
Premium Member
16,419 Posts
or just put a fuel cell in the bed? That'd be a hell of a lot easier...

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
dude your getting all worked up about a mount that can be replaced for less the $20, jason makes the mounts and sells them seperate from the links, so I dont understand why its such a big deal about your 6-link mounts....

I plan on using the stock tank with my own crossmember, I'm gonna make is out of some 1"x 2" with a mucho grande wall thickness, and then I'm gonna raise the back of the tank like jason did...

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Other problem is that my friend is doing all the work on the truck and said that if I want to use a different crossmember I can take my truck the way it is and go home. HE said "no crossmember is going to be as strong as stock and he won't use any other if he is doing the work. The stock is the size it is because it holds the whole rearend together". Thats what he says.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts