S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Landmine Carburetor
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing guys on here who take out the honycomb screen on their mass airflow sensor. Does it really do anything? Doesn't seem like it would restrict much air to me. But what do I know.... Any help would be great.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Can't say it would do much for a stocker but if you've got mods and need the extra air it should help.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
NO. dont do it, itll just screw up your computer. this is one of those dumb-ass mods that just messes your truck up. the screen is there for a reason, actually more than one, but just leave the MAF alone.

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
Its gonna scew up the computer huh. How do you know this???

Some pepole have to lay off the forum reading and actually have real world experiance to back up what they are saying.

That being said, I know of many trucks and cars that have run without a screen for many years no codes, no troubles, no changes in fuel economy and last but not least no extra power.

On some of the newer 3.8's and such you have to remove the screen just to clean the TB blade. Nothin bad happens when you do that either even 100k down the road.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The screen is there to straighten the airflow as the air passes over the MAF sensing element.
When you pull air thru a passageway it causes the air to swirl around. The MAF measures the airflow by sensing the degree of cooldown of a heated element. If the air swirls, it fools the sensor and causes the computer to measure incorrectly.

Removing the screen won't damage anything, but the engine will run better OVERALL with it in place. Expecially at idle and just above idle.
You can gain almost no airflow improvment by removing it. Better to leave it in place.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
mine runs slightly shittier withou it and throws codes all the time without it and if you check former posts similar issues arose and were corrected with a screen in place

·
Registered Loser
1,353 Posts
Is there a way to get a screen back in there? I bought my truck and it was already gone.

We used to remove all the screens on our LT1 Z's. But that was for a good reason. LT1's were made to run SO rich it was nutz. By removing the screen it leaned it out and actually ran better. It's not necessary on these things at all....late...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
i removed mine and can't tell a difference at all. it may run a little worse but i have enough other crap to override that. no codes or anything though.

·
Landmine Carburetor
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys...thankfully mine just popped right out, and popped right back in. I guess i'll leave it in. Really doubt it would help much anyway.

·
12,507 Posts
asses...yes, i read enough posts to judge that removing the MAF screen does nothing, and in some cases, will cause the engine to run worse and throw codes. sorry i cant afford a ****ing Blazer right now....cocksuckers.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
MKR said:
please explain muddy s10. i've gotta hear this.

btw, is this from a super altima experience?
Why don't you stick your sarcastic attitude up your ass along with your head.

He owned a 4.3L and through reading, he sees what most people are saying.

It's common knowledge the descreening MAF sensors is know to cause problems on some engines, and others it makes no difference.

·
zippy
733 Posts
my head's not up my ass. obviously you're up on the topic, why don't you explain the issue at hand with info other than what you've "heard". please smart ass, i'd like to hear this deep insite.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Why the fk are you signing up for the challenge, you own a 1992?

And you know more with your extensive MAF experience on a 1992? LMAO!

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

BTW.....Muddys10 has been helpful to me a few times and I always see him steering people in the right direction, I wouldn't doubt him :thumbup:

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
German_Xtreme said:
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

BTW.....Muddys10 has been helpful to me a few times and I always see him steering people in the right direction, I wouldn't doubt him :thumbup:
Very True, he is always trying to help. Even though we don't all personally go through EVERY problem, we see what everyone else is saying and we remember.

·
12,507 Posts
thanx for the backup guys, i dont try to start any fights, but it pisses me off when someone says that just by reading you dont learn shit...

·
zippy
733 Posts
well, reading his post it isn't saying much about it's a bad idea from what i hear.... hmm, it'll just screw up your computer??? never seen or heard of a pcm going bad because someone descreened a m.a.f sensor. i could go into the explaination, but wait, muddy solved it before anyone could answer it with all that knowledge on the topic.

·
zippy
733 Posts
BlazerLT said:
Why the fk are you signing up for the challenge, you own a 1992?

And you know more with your extensive MAF experience on a 1992? LMAO!
for this one, if you think all my experience is in cpi's, you're way off. some of us here know a bit more about cars than what they've read on forums. i don't need the backing, but i'm sure many will back what i know.

so, what's your challenge?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
You are an arrogant ass.

Please, you say you know about this, so let's have it? Lay it out, WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!

Let's see how someone owning a vehicle that doesn't have a MAF can have SO much more thoughtful arrogant sarcastic childish comments?

BRING IT BRO, YOU PICK ON MUDD, YOU GOT ME TO TANGLE WITH TOO.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts