• take the compressor off but leave the system

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my compressor is out, and i don't really mind buying a new one and replacing it, but i just dont know if i should take the whole system out.

pretty much the only thing thats keeping me on the fence is the fact that it is my daily driver, especially in the summer, and i drive around a lot for work.

though that squealing sound is really annoying, if i can just leave the system in, but take the compressor out for now, should i do that?

right now the only benefits i can see is clearing up space
(which helps a lot when working under the hood) and removing weight.

i plan on doing an engine swap in the future, be it a gen III/IV or ecotec, and if i can have A/c in there i might. but right now i'm just not sure.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I ran a shorter belt and bypassed the compressor. I left it in place until I decided to ad AC back. I did notice a difference in bump in power after doing AC delete off the belt system. I have the 2.2 so after adding it back, I realized just how much power it loses with AC.

·
Electrical Mod
56,129 Posts
You can't run a shorter belt with the compressor in place, you need the A/C delete pulley or at least to remove the compressor and a shorter belt can be ran without the A/C delete pulley. Personally, I would buy a new compressor, you can get them online for about $300. But if you must, disconnect the A/C and use duct tape to wrap the lines up to keep debri out. When you replace the compressor, the orifice tube and dryer should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I don't know if its relavent anymore, but I know you can bypass the AC on the 2.2 (mine is 2003) with just a belt. I did it myself and I didnt add or change any pully.

The belt is a Master Pro ( from XL Parts) K060637 6k637

13/16" x 64 3/8" OC 20mm x 1634mm

I can put it on and not have AC, or use my factory belt for AC.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
When you replace the compressor, the orifice tube and dryer should be replaced.
what i was thinking the hole time i was reading this thread pretty much. any warranty of the compressor will be voided if you do not replace you accumulator in the ac system. this it the large aluminum canister right after the blower/heater core/condenser box under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
Shorter belt are only for 2.2 Bypass pulley is required for the 4.3 I would replace the compressor or get a used one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My compressor is just starting to make a little noise now and then. It is a 4.3 Blazer. I do not really care about running A/C anyway, and plan on removing the compressor and lines at the very least. I have heard mixed opinions on the bypass pulley setup available. There is a Dorman brand one on the Advance Auto Parts site, Anyone using that one, or have another suggestion? Thanks...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a new compressor for now to stop the whining. When it gets warmer I will replace whatever else i'll need and get it charged.

I'd like to make ventilated seats but i need to find out if that would satisfy a girl riding shotgun seeing as I don't have the Camaro anymore and this has turned into more than just a beater.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just researched more here on the forum. Found an easy to remove the compressor, and the idler pulley, and run a shorter belt. Seems pretty straightforward. I probably will do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
L1BIKR
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing