S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat and vents work fine; but there is no air when I switch to Defrost.
I read some posts and checked the vacuum lines. I found the line that goes to a wire bundle intact, but the other hose isn't connected to anything.
Where is this supposed to go? Please be as detailed as possible... : )

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
What engine? If it's the 4.3, is one of the hoses connected to the fitting on the intake manifold? Which of the hoses goes into the bundle...the hose on the left, or the hose that's 90* to the fitting? It looks like they're in the wrong locations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I don't know what engine but it's 4 cylinder.
The hose on the left crosses over to the left. (see photo)
The hose in the middle (90 degrees) goes to the wire bundle.
The hose on the right goes to nothing.
NOTE:
I did have some engine work done over the summer so it's conceivable that things weren't reconnected properly
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
Inside the fender a a plastic can with a nipple on it for the hose on the right. You can barely see it to the rear of the abs unit tucked into the fender. It's quite fragile and may have been broken off. It's a pain to replace, if you can find one. On the bright side, since it's a 2.2L, there should be plenty of open space in the engine compartment. A vacuum ball from a pre '98 could probably find a home someplace in the compartment. For now, plug the hose with a small bolt or golf Tee.

Whoever worked on it may have broken it, or just didn't reinstall the hose.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
I plugged it with a screw and taped it with electrical tape. And just like magic... my defrost works!
Thank you so much. I am grateful for your assistance and appreciative of your time.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Molly
Sometimes the fixes are easy. Be like Gumby and see if you can see the can in the fender. If you're lucky, the nipple is intact and all you have to do is plug the hose on it. Now would be a good time to check the condition of the hoses for cracks/crumbling.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,689 Posts
Any auto parts store will have them. just guesstimate the length needed. There are 2 sizes...5/32 and 7/32. They're pretty cheap so don't worry about getting too much...within reason... 😂

·
Registered
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
562 Posts
Any auto parts store will have them. just guesstimate the length needed. There are 2 sizes...5/32 and 7/32. They're pretty cheap so don't worry about getting too much...within reason... 😂
Yeah - about 8 yards of each size should cover any contingency! :LOL::LOL: Actually, a couple feet of each is plenty.

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Here's whats hiding behind your ABS pump. That flat piece of plastic the hose plugs into is the the front of the vacuum reservoir which is tucked in between the inner and outer fenders.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Electrical wiring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts